Is music production software now part of the Great Reset?

T

Trythanks Lightfoot

The whole SaaS or subscription-based business model being adopted by numerous professional audio software developers (e.g. iZotope, Inc., Waves Audio Ltd., etc) and digital audio workstation developers (e.g. Avid Technology, Inc. Pro Tools, Reason Studios, etc).

Do y'all think Klaus Martin Schwab's World Economic Forum initiative called "The Great Reset" has now found its way into the music industry were recording artists, composers, producers, and sound engineers will own nothing and still be happy to make more records?

recommended
You guys are constantly overanalyzing things and complicating them than y'all should.

Everything is taking a subscription route. There is now DaaS too (i.e. Driving as a Service).

Therefore, I doubt it's something to do with the World Economic Forum or Klaus Martin Schwab.

It all comes down to pleasing shareholders because a customer i.e. musicians, mixing, and audio mastering engineers, in this case, keep on paying month after month and year after year to use audio production software they otherwise wouldn't have bothered to upgrade or update.

P.S. DAWs, AU, AAX, or VST plug-in subscriptions = Software as a Service. It's shouldn't be a WEF Great Reset conspiracy theory. Oh, wait... y'all also think Music as a Service (i.e. Spotify...
I really doubt if Klaus Martin Schwab and his entire gang at the World Economic Forum have major interests in the music business like that. I'd like to think they have better issues to discuss, don't they?

But I do however get the point you are trying to make about music production software companies shifting everything to subscriptions instead of offering perpetual licenses and how this ties up with the idea of people, in general, getting used to living in a society where ownership doesn't exist.

Well, let's just say at least for those who aren't part of the global elite, as it were. Because it's not like the powers-that-be want to be ones who also get to own nothing like the rest of the sheeple. That's the irony, isn't it? I suppose so.

Queen

grand master
Avid's Pro Tools | Ultimate subscription (i.e. €739,00 1-Year Subscription, Paid Upfront) compared to other DAW alternatives e.g. Yamaha Steinberg's Cubase Pro (i.e. €581.99 for a perpetual license). I guess this kinda explains some people's exodus from Avid's Pro Tools to PreSonus Studio One, Cockos Reaper, etc.

Attachments

• Avid's Pro Tools  Ultimate subscription.jpg
    Avid's Pro Tools Ultimate subscription.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 158

Nehanda

@Queen it won't be long till both Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH and PreSonus Audio Electronics, Inc. jump on that monthly or yearly digital audio workstation software subscription bandwagon. Even Apple's Logic Pro DAW will probably end up being bundled among other Apple One subscription services.

So for now let's just chill until the next episode. I am positive there is more interesting news to come in regards to more software applications being rented monthly or yearly as opposed to the outgoing option of making a purchase that grants the end-user a perpetual license.

Bombastus

You guys are constantly overanalyzing things and complicating them than y'all should.

Everything is taking a subscription route. There is now DaaS too (i.e. Driving as a Service).

Therefore, I doubt it's something to do with the World Economic Forum or Klaus Martin Schwab.

It all comes down to pleasing shareholders because a customer i.e. musicians, mixing, and audio mastering engineers, in this case, keep on paying month after month and year after year to use audio production software they otherwise wouldn't have bothered to upgrade or update.

P.S. DAWs, AU, AAX, or VST plug-in subscriptions = Software as a Service. It's shouldn't be a WEF Great Reset conspiracy theory. Oh, wait... y'all also think Music as a Service (i.e. Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Tidal, etc) that's got something to do with the WEF too?

recommended

Sadzandiuraye

initiate
Are you sure it's the "Great Reset" and not the "Great Regret?"

@Bombastus LaaS (i.e. Life as a Service or even Lifestyle as a Service ) is around the corner but I see y'all wanna downplay things, huh?

Matter of fact here is a quote directly from the WEF about how fabulous the "Great Regret" is going to be:
As we enter a unique window of opportunity to shape the recovery, this initiative will offer insights to help inform all those determining the future state of global relations, the direction of national economies, the priorities of societies, the nature of BUSINESS MODELS and the management of a global commons. Drawing from the vision and vast expertise of the leaders engaged across the Forum’s communities, the Great Reset initiative has a set of dimensions to build a new social contract that honours the dignity of every human being.

Now here is a question for you: what does the WEF mean by saying, "... the nature of BUSINESS MODELS..."

Ah, yes... "the nature of business models" = the rise of Everything as a Service = you'll own nothing and be happy!

It's all straight from the horse's mouth. Y'all can't deny that so don't even try to spin this.

Tanonoka

initiate
A major reason behind as shift into subscriptions is that because of the massive profits generated by SaaS (Software as a Service), other industries with nothing to do with developing software are now attempting to incorporate useless mobile or smartphone Apps and other various software dependant features into their products.

In other words, there's a good chance of the idea of people owning nothing becoming a reality if more and more corporations begin doing what I've just mentioned. I am just not sure about the happiness side of it. Who knows really?

Black Panther

grand master
Subscriptions (only) are a nasty way to milk loyal customers. They are even horrible for hobbyists, LOL. ?

It is slowly becoming increasingly difficult for people to own things and the concept is becoming more centralized.

It looks like future producers and engineers will own a few plug-ins if all developers switch to SaaS.

Sadzandiuraye

initiate
@Black Panther, of course, you are right.

Musicians are going to have a hard time managing a subscription-based system when every company wants a fee. However, a new generation of software developers will fill the gap in the market although there will certainly struggle to make a name for themselves competing with whales.

Lenard

Lenard Maseko
Major record labels and some indie record companies are serious culprits too who don't let artists own their music whilst expecting them to be happy to make more albums for them, just saying.

As for DAW subscriptions, it is no secret that many musicians including audio engineers don't want to keep paying, paying, and paying for music production software. Absolutely no! Unless we are talking about major updates.

Bombastus

Major record labels and some indie record companies are serious culprits too who don't let artists own their music whilst expecting them to be happy to make more albums for them, just saying.

You can't blame record companies because they OFFER record contracts and they don't FORCE artists to sign away either their music publishing or sound recording copyrights (or masters).

Basically, all they do is deal with willing recording artists, but in a shady way at times, which I do understand. Nevertheless, the option of ownership does exist it's only that some artists get too excited to be famous without checking if the paperwork is right.

Latest resources