Are Jamaican Patois translator web apps any good?

B

Boris Bollinger

Hey everyone, I'm curious about something, have any of you used a Jamaican Patois translator web app, and if so do you find them to be useful? Are they any good at conveying the meaning of Patwah words and phrases accurately? I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.

recommended
A
I have tried so many of them and none of them can properly translate Patwah into English. They are mostly good for basic JC words and phrases. Beyond that, you get meaningless mumbo jumbo. It's better to buy a book on Amazon and watch YouTube videos.
M

Merrari Fenz

If you're looking to learn about the Jamaican Creole language, I'd definitely recommend turning to YouTube–it can be a great resource for sparking your language-learning journey. With YouTube, you can also search for specific phrases and concepts that may interest you in particular.

Apps that do English to Jamaican Patois translation are useful tools as well; however, they don't replace listening to a native voice. Also, you are exposed indirectly – not only to just words - but also expressions or idioms which will eventually help users gain familiarity and grasp on the subtlety of communication such as irony, puns or sarcasm, etc.

A

Adam

I have tried so many of them and none of them can properly translate Patwah into English. They are mostly good for basic JC words and phrases. Beyond that, you get meaningless mumbo jumbo. It's better to buy a book on Amazon and watch YouTube videos.

recommended
C

Clayton

You should listen to more Caribbean music and reggae if you want to learn more Jamaican language words. These styles of music are rich with the language and culture of Jamaica, and immersing yourself in them is the best way to start picking up slang and phrases. Plus, the beats are infectious and the lyrics are often socially and politically conscious, so it's a win-win situation.

T

Trythanks Lightfoot

Why are Patwah words spelled differently e.g., gallis, gyalis and gyallis? Isn't there a proper version to some of these words?

Latest resources