Question Do Music Sales and Online Streams Correlate To Good Music?

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
Is there are a positive correlation between music sales, online streams on DSPs and good music?

Lenard

Lenard Maseko
Cape Town
Numbers don’t completely correlate to good music. What numbers do is show an audience who has a well-oiled-machine behind them and who doesn't.

To me record sales only determine how many real and fake generated fans you have (i.e. how big your marketing budget is).

In short, it has little to do with music quality.

Songs are subjective but due to MSM conditioning, no one wants to admit that individuality is dying and everyone just wants to follow what everyone else likes or dislikes.

Nah, there is absolutely no positive correlation between good music and how many streams a musician has because of issues concerning money, industry politics, and all that kind of stuff.

For example, if an artist gets blackballed then chances are their music isn't gonna get more spins on the radio, consequently, online music streaming platforms will follow suit by removing their songs from curated playlists.

The end result is self-explanatory.

The mainstream media has this habit of trying to influence what people should listen to and what they shouldn't.

And because of that media bias, certain artists will be labeled as good musicians and the ones the mainstream media doesn't like will be labeled as horrible musicians.

What you then end up with is a situation wherein recording artists affiliated with major record labels and music publishers with strong media ties will regularly get good reviews by media outlets whilst the rest of singers and rappers' efforts are neglected in the grand scheme of things.

The quality of music always depends on who you ask. That's about it really.

Anything else it's just business. Of course, it can get personal when one artist tries to use their influence to stop another artist from getting enough media attention, positive publicity from showbiz bloggers, etc.

Furthermore, many radio personalities and DSP playlist curators are on major record label's payroll receiving them payola checks, therefore, the game is rigged and will always be rigged.

To me, record sales only determine how many real and fake generated fans you have (i.e. how big your marketing budget is).

In short, it has little to do with music quality.
But sometimes how many fans you have also determines if you have fallen off or not -- just saying. 🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️

••