Mixing Tutorial How To Mix A Dancehall Instrumental In FL Studio - Part 1

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Goldmidi

The Goldmidi
Staff member

Welcome, this a playthrough of a Dancehall instrumental I will be mixing in FL Studio from start to finish.

On the master fader I have loaded Izotope Ozone 7 Maximizer to prevent the track from clipping during the playback of the instrumental.

But in the mixing stage, using Izotope Ozone 7 Maximizer on the master fader is totally unnecessary, although sometimes you can use the brickwall limiter to inspect how the track will sound like during the mastering stage and perhaps apply useful changes to your mixing session before finally rendering the project.

I went on to add Brainworx's bx_meter to see where the overall levels by referencing with the K-System loudness scale

What's Next:

Last edited:
But why is the master fader peaking at 0 dB yet you haven't even started mixing the Dancehall instrumental?

Goldmidi

The Goldmidi
Staff member
But why is the master fader peaking at 0 dB yet you haven't even started mixing the Dancehall instrumental?
Well, this is meant to be a playthrough of what the Dancehall Instrumental sounds like to give you the idea of what I will be working on.

If you notice I did not spend any time on gain staging, all I did was to insert the brickwall limiter - Izotope Ozone 7 Maximizer and the visual metering VST - Brainworx's bx_meter. By the way that's all loaded on FL Studio's master fader.

NOTE: Without proper gain staging the program material is bound to exceed 0 dBFS, (*that's not always the case, but sometimes it does).

Last edited:
This is meant to be a play-through of what the Dancehall Instrumental sounds like. If you notice I didn't apply any gain staging, all I did was to insert Izotope Ozone 7 Maximizer and Brainworx's bx_meter.

NOTE: Without proper gain staging the program material is bound to exceed 0 dBFS, (*not always but sometimes it does).
What is gain staging? How is that necessary for mixing Dancehall music?

Goldmidi

The Goldmidi
Staff member
What is gain staging? How is that necessary for mixing Dancehall music?
When mixing music in general, whether you are mixing Dancehall music or whatever have you, gain staging simply means you adjust the fader positions of your audio tracks so that you get a good amplitude and panning balance which subsequently becomes the initial starting point of your mixing session.

Last edited:
When mixing music in general whether you are mixing Dancehall music or whatever have you, gain staging simply means you adjust the fader positions of your audio tracks so that you get the right loudness balance which subsequently becomes the initial starting point of your mixing session.
Why did you use Izotope Ozone Maximizer instead of just using Fruity Limiter or Image-Line's Maximus?

Goldmidi

The Goldmidi
Staff member
Why did you use Izotope Ozone Maximizer instead of just using Fruity Limiter or Image-Line's Maximus?
That's a preferential thing. Izotope Ozone Maximizer, Fruity Limiter or Maximus are all useful brickwall limiters except Image-Line's Maximus has multi-band capabilities for mastering music or rather mangling audio.

Last edited:

Lenard

Learned-Lieutenant
Cape Town
I see you have used Brainworx's bx_meter... What alternative to Brainworx bx_meter that is included in FL Studio as a stock VST plugin?

Goldmidi

The Goldmidi
Staff member
I see you have used Brainworx's bx_meter... What alternative to Brainworx bx_meter that is included in FL Studio as a stock VST plugin?
There's a native plugin which comes bundled in FL Studio called "Wave Candy."

Last edited:

Lenard

Learned-Lieutenant
Cape Town
That should be FL Studio's Wave Candy
How do you set FL Studio's Wave Candy to implement the K-System metering?

Goldmidi

The Goldmidi
Staff member
How do you set FL Studio's Wave Candy to implement the K-System metering?
Do you mean the K-System for mixing music or the K-System for mastering music?

••