If you want to become full, let yourself be empty

recommended
It means when your goal is to gain more skill, knowledge, or wisdom (i.e., if you want to become full).

You have to continuously accept the fact that you don't know everything (i.e., let yourself be empty).

Scorpio

grand master
It means when your goal is to gain more skill, knowledge, or wisdom (i.e., if you want to become full).

You have to continuously accept the fact that you don't know everything (i.e., let yourself be empty).

recommended
J

James Moore

What is the difference between Daoism and Deism?

Y'all can correct me if I am wrong but from my understanding, there's the religious Daoism (Dao jiao) and the philosophical school (Dao jia). In addition, although the Taodejing is a philosophical text dealing mostly with ethics and politics, they both started with Laozi.

It might, however, be considerably more difficult than this. It appears that Laozi's Daoism may also have a major religious component.

T

Terrence Williams

As I see it, Daoism, Buddhism, and Hinduism are all related in that they all talk of some combination of positive and negative forces (such as karma, and the yin-yang) as being the ultimate driving forces of nature that control and make up the universe, much like the 1s and 0s of a computer.

And where only 1s or positive forces exist, this can be thought of as "heaven", whilst where only negative forces exist, this can be thought of as "hades" (or "hell"), and where neither force exists, such a realm may be called "Nirvana."

M

MinusTempo

@Numero Uno the quote "If you want to become full, let yourself be empty" is attributed to the ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu, who of course founded Taoism. This quote encourages individuals to let go of their biases, assumptions, and preconceived notions to grow and improve themselves. It suggests that individuals should adopt a mindset of openness and humility by emptying themselves of their egos.

This creates space for personal growth and development. The quote is applicable to various aspects of life, including relationships, where individuals need to let go of their own desires and expectations to truly understand and connect with others. Thusly, the quote emphasizes the importance of self-awareness, mindfulness, and a willingness to learn and grow.

Latest resources