Lobola refunds can that be a reality in Zimbabwe?

Nehanda

The forthcoming notion of lobola refunds in Zimbabwe is that a fair and reasonable rectitude for all sons-in-law (vakuwasha) who entreat to get their money back when there are irreconcilable differences in a relationship?

I am sure some of you will as an alternative argue the abolishment of roora might more so be an appropriate measure to implement than the aforementioned proposition.

So what's your take on this matter?

Chidinma

@Nehanda Roora refund ndo kunonzi kujaidza varume vemuZimbabwe zvisina basa!

The same futi varume vanozotanga kuti heee mvana this and mvana that, nxaaa.

Anything to do with roora there must never ever be a reverse dhiri—chihure chingato nyanya and the institution of traditional marriage will rapidly lose value.

@Shamiso Yuwi, pengai Mai Sorobhi. ?

Shamiso

initiate
Zvekuti mvana zvapinda papi apa? That has nothing to do with rovora repayments, does it?

@Borrowdale Barron oan, don't act as if you don't know wetin mi deh talmbout.

Deh dey plenti varume vazhinji vanozvarisa vana vevanhu and all of a sudden dem waan to leave di woman to raise pickneydem alone... for the why?

Dis na weh di unconscionable prejudice against mvana kom into plei bikos vacho varume uu neglect responsibilities dey themselves kriet dey di very siem hypocrites wey go be for di forefront bashing hardworking singl maadadem relentlessly for sosho media.

Hence the major reason behind the cultural tradition for a son-in-law to pay rusambo ever since pasichigare has always been for him to show seriousness and for him to make a solemn vow in the presence of his in-laws that he is prepared to take care of his future family for better or for worse.

So why should a son-in-law have the nerve to try to arrange bridewealth re-payment plans when he voluntarily accepted the customary norms of a woman he married with all his free will?

Hakusi kuwonererwa here uku?

Mukwasha akadaro anenge akutomboda karumamiso mbichana kusvika anyatso twasanuka mushe and until akuziva kuti kuroora is NOT a shotgun marriage yekufoseredzwa.

Hanty munhu anouya ega kuzotsvaga sadza...

Scorpio

grand master
@Nehanda rugaba (jeredzwa or matsvagirano) das di asking price (mutengo) for a woman bikaaz di sad reality is: lobola dey now a booming bizniz for di Ripoblik a Zimbabue, periodt.

@Shamiso I personally think that there should be a law put in place so that all sons-in-law can be refunded for every single cent charged by vatezvara, and failure to refund all that money when a refund is kindly requested should result in a lengthy prison term at Chikurubi Prison for vatezvara including vamwene too if her demands were met during a roora ceremony.

P.S. @Shamiso yes, you are right that munhu anotsvaga sadza ega but sometimes that sadza becomes mbodza!

Queen

grand master
@Nehanda rugaba (or matsvagirano) rugaba (or matsvagirano) das di asking price (mutengo) for a woman bikaaz di sad reality is: lobola dey now a booming bizniz for di Ripoblik a Zimbabue, periodt.

@Shamiso I personally think that there should be a law put in place so that all sons-in-law can be refunded for every single cent charged by vatezvara, and failure to refund all that money when a refund is kindly requested should result in a lengthy prison term at Chikurubi Prison for vatezvara including vamwene too if her demands were met during a roora ceremony.

P.S. @Shamiso yes, you are right that munhu anotsvaga sadza ega but sometimes that sadza becomes mbodza!

Oh Lawd, here we go.

Vanhu vaye vatanga zvino...

@Scorpio you are crazy.

What if a relationship breaks down because hubby isn't loyal and has been having an extramarital affair?

He should also be refunded by vatezvara and vamwene, so that he will proceed to use that money kuroora mukadzi he was busy cheating with whilst still married, huh?

Borrowdale Barron

grand master
@Queen Ukuda kuti mukadzi apihwei besides gupuro?

Hanty when mukadzi gets traditionally married in Zimbabwe she doesn't pay anything.

All she does is get dressed up and wear makeup on the day but a man who is marrying her has to bring roora groceries, agree to buy cows, agree to buy mabhachi or majasi for in-laws, and finally pay for rusambo.

And just like @Scorpio said it's nothing but a business transaction these days and also it acts as a safe buffer just in case mwana wevanhu akafa you won't have issues since they will definitely demand matsvagirano by force.

P.S. don't bring up children into the mix because that's already covered by child support (or child maintenance monthly payments in the event they separate).

Queen

grand master
@Queen Ukuda kuti mukadzi apihwei besides gupuro?

Hanty when mukadzi gets traditionally married in Zimbabwe she doesn't pay anything.

All she does is get dressed up and wear makeup on the day but a man who is marrying her has to bring roora groceries, agree to buy cows, agree to buy mabhachi or majasi for in-laws, and finally pay for rusambo.

And just like @Scorpio said it's nothing but a business transaction these days and also it acts as a safe buffer just in case mwana wevanhu akafa you won't have issues since they will definitely demand matsvagirano by force.

P.S. don't bring up children into the mix because that's already covered by child support (or child maintenance monthly payments in the event they separate).

You oans @Borrowdale Barron and @Scorpio need to start talking sense. Y'all really need to conduct research on why roora is called a token of appreciation because it is not what you are making it out to be here.

And based on the points y'all made I guess this supports the reason why some people should just remain single or live a life yekuchaya mapoto—marriage isn't for everyone—it's for people with common values.

For example, why pay rovora to begin with when you are a person who knows very well unofarira kuchinga muriwo? There are so many individuals like that who still proceed to get married but they simultaneously believe monogamy is not natural.

The confusion though... Bvepfepfe chairo!

I suppose gavhumendi yemuZimbabwe needs to introduce something called "Roora Contract," this can perhaps aid in solving disputes in regards to lobola refunds.

Borrowdale Barron

grand master
You oans @Borrowdale Barron and @Scorpio need to start talking sense. Y'all really need to conduct research on why roora is called a token of appreciation because it is not what you are making it out to be here.

And based on the points y'all made I guess this supports the reason why some people should just remain single or live a life yekuchaya mapoto—marriage isn't for everyone—it's for people with common values.

For example, why pay rovora to begin with when you are a person who knows very well unofarira kuchinga muriwo? There are so many individuals like that who still proceed to get married but they simultaneously believe monogamy is not natural.

The confusion though... Bvepfepfe chairo! ?

I suppose gavhumendi yemuZimbabwe needs to introduce something called "Roora Contract," this can perhaps aid in solving disputes in regards to lobola refunds.

Most people don't get married with the intention of divorcing but things do happen.

Scorpio

grand master
You oans @Borrowdale Barron and @Scorpio need to start talking sense.

For example, why pay rovora to begin with when you are a man who knows very well unofarira kuchinga muriwo? There are so many Zim men like that who still proceed to get married but they simultaneously believe monogamy is not natural.

The confusion though... Bvepfepfe chairo! ?

I suppose the Zimbabwean needs to introduce something called "Roora Contract," this can perhaps aid in solving disputes in regards to lobola refunds.

"Roora contract," ahyas zvakaoma.

That sounds to me like a share certificate a man gets after paying bridewealth and how will that work alongside prenups—won't it make marriage in Zimbabwe too complicated than it should?

Nehanda

"Roora contract," ahyas zvakaoma.

That sounds to me like a share certificate a man gets after paying bridewealth and how will that work alongside prenups—won't it make marriage in Zimbabwe too complicated than it should?

In reality, most people in Zimbabwe don't have prenups because they work kinda differently than other countries but then again that's beside the point I am trying to make here.

What I really want to say is a "roora agreement" or contract is useful in cases where a son-in-law says he paid $8,000 USD in rugaba while the father-in-law disagrees saying the amount due was only $4,000 USD.

Another scenario is when mukuwasha doesn't pay the full amount of dowry all at once. Therefore roora contracts can easily settle those disputes assuming lobola refunds are normalized in Zimbabwe in the near future.

Scorpio

grand master
In reality, most people in Zimbabwe don't have prenups because they work kinda differently than other countries but then again that's beside the point I am trying to make here.

What I really want to say is a "roora agreement" or contract is useful in cases where a son-in-law says he paid $8,000 USD in rugaba while the father-in-law disagrees saying the amount due was only $4,000 USD.

Another scenario is when mukuwasha doesn't pay the full amount of dowry all at once. Therefore roora contracts can easily settle those disputes assuming lobola refunds are normalized in Zimbabwe in the near future.

@Nehanda well, if you say so, I can see the practical need for them.

Although there will be an added expense of lawyers getting in involved.

My question is who will pay for that after a roora ceremony is done? Mukwasha here?

Queen

grand master
@Nehanda well, if you say so, I can see the practical need for them.

Although there will be an added expense of lawyers getting in involved.

My question is who will pay for that after a roora ceremony is done? Mukwasha here?

Yes, mukwasha should pay.

Wanga uchida kuti zvibhadharwe nani?

Latest resources