New computer coming, how to transfer PreSonus Studio One?

O

Omnipenne

Help! I am getting a new computer soon and feeling anxious! Should I just re-download PreSonus Studio One DAW and all my sound libraries, or is there more to it? I don't want to mess anything up. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

recommended
M
A new PC means a new fresh installation. Copying/cloning may lead to under-the-hood issues and errors which may lead to performance or stability issues. It doesn't have to be, but IMO investing a bit of time to get a fresh install without all the garbage collected over the years on totally different components clears the back of your head as well. Straight install, no software tools, only drivers, only current, compatible audio software plugins. Make sure to unregister any local licenses on the old system, especially local iLok licenses.
M

Multiedge

A new PC means a new fresh installation. Copying/cloning may lead to under-the-hood issues and errors which may lead to performance or stability issues. It doesn't have to be, but IMO investing a bit of time to get a fresh install without all the garbage collected over the years on totally different components clears the back of your head as well. Straight install, no software tools, only drivers, only current, compatible audio software plugins. Make sure to unregister any local licenses on the old system, especially local iLok licenses.

recommended
O

Omnipenne

Thanks! Following up, I have sound libraries on an external hard drive; should I wipe it and reinstall the libraries when I plug it into the new computer?

M

Multiedge

Thanks! Following up, I have sound libraries on an external hard drive; should I wipe it and reinstall the libraries when I plug it into the new computer?

No, data on external drives can stay. Anything that needs to be installed (applications, plug-ins) should be installed.

H

Helen Havok

Heads up: if you have third-party VST plugins you might need to authorize them on the new computer. (No big deal, but if you forget, a previously working mix may misbehave.)

O

Outrageous Onion

Heads up: if you have third-party VST plugins you might need to authorize them on the new computer. (No big deal, but if you forget, a previously working mix may misbehave.)

Good advice. I generally try to "de-authorize" any installed music effect plugins online before swapping to new hardware.

T

Trevor Powell

You can't clone a drive with plugs and have it work. If you have songs/projects you are working on, I suggest an external drive you can move the song folders to and work from. You will have to download and activate your 3rd party plugs too.
You get 5 activations of your license. I would deactivate your old computer from that list unless you plan on using the old computer sometimes too. Then it doesn't hurt to keep it active, as you're still only at 2/5.