What is better: EQ before compression or vice versa?

M

Makandinzwanani

Whether you are recording, mixing, or mastering I am kinda wondering, when should you use parametric EQ before compression and when is it best to use compression before EQ.

M

Musorowegomo

Isn't it just the same whichever way you decide to do it?

An audio compressor reacts differently with already equalized audio material—the result will not be the same because some compressors have a sidechain functionality where you can also filter out the stuff that it listens to. For example, you can tell the compressor not to be triggered by sounds below 130 or 200 Hz. Nonetheless, there is no better or worse, it's just different and it's all subjective.

It's situational. If you EQ before dynamic range compression it means the audio frequencies you have boosted will be compressed harder and controlled more. A lot of times many sound engineers use an EQ before a compressor to dictate how the compressor reacts to the source material and then will put an EQ after the compressor with the tasteful boosts or cuts. If you just want to affect the brightness or darkness of the program material usually do it after compression. If you want to affect the compressor make it move differently, or use it to tame harsh frequencies then EQ before, and possibly after too.

O

Octopus boy

I like using eq before compression to send the cleanest possible signal, but also a little compression at the end can glue all the effects in between in the chain. I just happen to add a little glue only on the stereo bus.

A

Azizi

Use Image-Line's Fruity Parametric EQ plug-in, from there proceed to slap 2 Soundgoodizers and you are ready to go. That's the sound of trap beats buddy: it's the ultimate starter pack. And trust me you can never go with that especially when you are mixing big booty 808s.

Bla Jedza

apprentice
Use Image-Line's Fruity Parametric EQ plug-in, from there proceed to slap 2 Soundgoodizers and you are ready to go. That's the sound of trap beats buddy: it's the ultimate starter pack. And trust me you can never go with that especially when you are mixing big booty 808s.

That won't work.

It's a recipe for disaster.

Bombastus

Most of the here answers have valid points, but think about it, if you have a dynamic problem use a dynamic virtual sound effect plug-in, if you have a tonal balance problem use an eq, both are able to make changes to each other.

For example, a compressor that has a fast attack and fast release (plus a hard knee) can tame the transients reducing the dynamic range. but if that attack (kick) has a lot of low frequencies it can make your tone more "bright" because it’s attacking that, another example is, imagine the same kick and you make emphasis in the same low end, and the low end is more in the attack (example, can be the opposite) it could make your kick more dynamic because you’re raising up the low end, then if you need to keep the same dynamic or tone both are necessary. In a nutshell, always think about your specific case.

E

Elewisa

I recommend you to do both i.e., insert an eq plug-in before and after. But if you make lo-fi beats or instrumentals, you don't want to do too much surgical equalization. You kinda want to preserve some of those low-fidelity imperfections.