recommended
It's an abstract concept of measuring the influence of an artist. The same applies to the film industry, especially in matters where the idea of being "bankable" comes up. In other words, an A-list musician is pretty much the record label's cash cow and covers the offset (i.e. the record company's expenses and income) between them and other less successful artists on the same record label.

Black Panther

grand master
It's an abstract concept of measuring the influence of an artist. The same applies to the film industry, especially in matters where the idea of being "bankable" comes up. In other words, an A-list musician is pretty much the record label's cash cow and covers the offset (i.e. the record company's expenses and income) between them and other less successful artists on the same record label.

recommended

Black Panther

grand master
Why do some artists struggle to reach that A-list status?

The industry itself and the mainstream media can deliberately exert more force to propel an artist towards climbing this abstract ladder of being an A-list artist rather than the masses (i.e. fans).

Talent is just not enough although oftentimes some are built today and yet systematically cast down tomorrow to make way for new blood.

Queen

grand master
Why do some artists struggle to reach that A-list status?

There are so many reasons for that, but the major reason is how the music business isn't really about talent.

So I find it peculiar to even imagine and have a perspective of saying every famous "musician" has talent.

Connections and being at the right place, at the right time. That's the name of the game for sure.