Status
This post is closed for further replies.

Lenard

Lenard Maseko
What on earth is Mastered for iTunes and how is it different from the conventional ways of mastering music?

Attachments

• Audio Mastering - Mastered For iTunes (Apple Music).png
    Audio Mastering - Mastered For iTunes (Apple Music).png
    5.9 KB · Views: 207
recommended
Apple Music or iTunes currently uses a lossy AAC format (i.e. Advanced Audio Coding format).

So, in theory, the main, main idea behind Mastered for iTunes (MFiT) is to address the issue of where the transcoding process from a lossless audio format to a lossy audio format doesn't result in more ISPs (i.e. intersample peaks which in real-life scenarios most people won't even care about).

It is recommended that you use a True-Peak Brickwall Limiter with the ceiling set at -1 dBFS because the encoding process can add tiny amounts of amplitude gain to the program material.

Let's now be realistic here, a boring song is a boring song, period. Whether it is mastered for iTunes or not. So who cares? Ummm, no one I guess.

Goldmidi

The Goldmidi
Staff member
Apple Music or iTunes currently uses a lossy AAC format (i.e. Advanced Audio Coding format).

So, in theory, the main, main idea behind Mastered for iTunes (MFiT) is to address the issue of where the transcoding process from a lossless audio format to a lossy audio format doesn't result in more ISPs (i.e. intersample peaks which in real-life scenarios most people won't even care about).

It is recommended that you use a True-Peak Brickwall Limiter with the ceiling set at -1 dBFS because the encoding process can add tiny amounts of amplitude gain to the program material.

Let's now be realistic here, a boring song is a boring song, period. Whether it is mastered for iTunes or not. So who cares? Ummm, no one I guess.

recommended

Goldmidi

The Goldmidi
Staff member
What's better between Apple Music AAC format and the normal WAV format?

A lossless audio format is always better than a lossy audio format.

This is because a lossless audio format like WAV audio format doesn't reduce the intricate bits of the audio material, hence giving the listener a high fidelity listening experience.

But make no mistake about it, the average listener out there doesn't seem to care about all that stuff. They just listen to the beat and if they like it, well, that's a wrap!

Black Panther

grand master
Is there a YouTube Music or Spotify version similar to Mastered for iTunes?

Not quite, but there are loudness recommendations of audio mastering levels of somewhere between -16 LUFS and -14 LUFS.

Although most people don't seem to care about any of those music streaming LUFS levels since they are already more invested into perpetual loudness wars.

Status
This post is closed for further replies.