Which global artist has Zimbabwe produced thus far?

C

Chigubhu

It's been over 4 decades since independence yet you can't name a single Zim artist that has garnered worldwide critical acclaim and amassed a fiercely loyal global following. Is it because of language or not wanting to make records for popular music markets, any thoughts?

recommended
T
None.

I know some of my fellow Zimbos are gonna hate me for this but if we are gonna be frank about it Zim's music has been too boring for SADC for a very, very long time now. If it wasn't it would dominate SADC. And if you can't be big in SADC how are you gonna be a huge artist on the continent (or in Africa)? And if you aren't a huge star on the continent how will a person in Wisconsin gonna know you exist? YouTube? Nope, I doubt it. They probably rather continue listening to Taylor Swift, Drake and etc.
T

Trapmore

None.

I know some of my fellow Zimbos are gonna hate me for this but if we are gonna be frank about it Zim's music has been too boring for SADC for a very, very long time now. If it wasn't it would dominate SADC. And if you can't be big in SADC how are you gonna be a huge artist on the continent (or in Africa)? And if you aren't a huge star on the continent how will a person in Wisconsin gonna know you exist? YouTube? Nope, I doubt it. They probably rather continue listening to Taylor Swift, Drake and etc.

recommended
K

Kwaku

Many Zim artists are too focused on making music for the local market. If the objective is to appeal to the world you've gotta target Americans. If you are not hot in the U.S. of Ayy you are not hot on earth. Yes, you can be a neighborhood superstar in your country but your hood isn't the world.

E

Evans

Many Zim artists are too focused on making music for the local market. If the objective is to appeal to the world you've gotta target Americans. If you are not hot in the U.S. of Ayy you are not hot on earth. Yes, you can be a neighborhood superstar in your country but your hood isn't the world.

Your point kinda makes sense but Americans aren't gwine to listen to Zim's currently trending genre i.e., Zimdancehall when they don't even listen to dancehall music that much. All of this brings us to the post that Trapmore wrote. What is so special about Zimdancehall music that it can take over the world? The answer is nothing.

I

Isaac

Damn, can y'all stop worshipping Americans? They aren't gonna remove sanctions either with all that brown-nosing y'all doing in these threads.

R

Ruramai

Target an American audience with what? Sungura music? :)

K

Kwaku

Damn, can y'all stop worshipping Americans? They aren't gonna remove sanctions either with all that brown-nosing y'all doing in these threads.

No one is worshipping Americans. The fact is they are the ones who have a huge say in showbiz from a global perspective. You can hate on them all you want yet still, it won't change much.

L

Lobengula

The issue is most Zim artists are too focused on making music for the local market. If the objective is to appeal to the world you've gotta target Americans. If you are not hot in the U.S. of Ayy you are not hot on earth. Yes, you can be a neighborhood superstar in your country but your hood isn't the world.

That's only part of the story. We can't overlook the fact that economic instability has crippled artistic industries and made it difficult for Zimbabwean artists to become financially successful abroad.

K

Kwaku

That's only part of the story. We can't overlook the fact that economic instability has crippled artistic industries and made it difficult for Zimbabwean artists to become financially successful abroad.

But many other African countries have had similar problems and you still see major international artist hailing from these countries.

H

Henry

Actually, museve music is more authentic than all these wannabe genres.

Sungura has been irrelevant for years. Eventually, it's gonna die because more and more music producers only know how to use FL Studio and make similar sounding mechanical beats. No one will be there to keep museve alive. So people better appreciate artists like Alick Macheso whilst they are still alive.

M

Moreblessing

The issue isn't primarily one of language, but of creating a good sound and marketing it effectively.

M

Moreblessing

How can people appreciate the music if they can't understand the lyrics? Almost every popular song is in English.

That's where you're wrong, my friend. Music is a universal language. It doesn't matter what language the lyrics are in, the music can still speak to people.

S

Silas Mavende

That's where you're wrong, my friend. Music is a universal language. It doesn't matter what language the lyrics are in, the music can still speak to people.

I see your point, but I still think the language barrier plays a big role.

B

Big Bhosvo

No, you are the one who is wrong here. For example, Zimdancehall has been around for decades and it's still not blowing up. It's the language, man, it's the language.

Latest resources