Why Do You Mix With A VST Mastering Limiter?

Numero Uno

Apprentice
After watching one of your videos on YouTube I am wondering why do you mix with a brickwall vst mastering limiter (Izotope Maximizer). Doesn't that affect the mix?

Goldmidi

The Goldmidi
Staff member
I always remove the brickwall limiter including any master bus compression when I am done mixing music.

In fact, I aim to have the integrated LUFS loudness reading at around -24 LUFS.

Now that doesn't mean squashing elements within the mix itself but only to do so with the limiter on the master bus without VST EQs, except maybe compression here and there.

It's more like a feasibility test of the music project in question. For example, what will this mix most likely to sound like when it's pushed to about -9 LUFS?

Will the drums lose their punch drastically because of over-compression within the mix itself? etc...

Goldmidi

The Goldmidi
Staff member
I thought it wasn't a good idea to mix into a limiter...

Well, people have different techniques of mixing music — the same way people approach music production differently too.

A limiter on the master bus for me doesn't mean it's going to remain there.

I mix loud and edgy because that way I can monitor and hear that... "the bass is a bit too loud; how about we turn it down a little bit" or sometimes notice... "the lead synths are too quiet in the mix, let me turn them up." etc...