MSFT begins testing ads in the Windows 11 Start menu

Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) has started showing ads in the "Recommended" section of the Windows 11 home menu. For now, only the United States of America test users in the Beta Channel preview build 22635.3495 will see these recommendations. Those ads will appear among the tips, files, and frequently used applications normally found in this section. However, it is not clear whether app developers will have to pay Microsoft Corporation to be recommended through the start menu.

MSFT begins testing ads in the Windows 11 Start menu.png

P

Prometheus Risen

Unfortunately, we are now heading towards the point where advertising is baked into the OS. This was already the case with mobile smartphones, but I fear it will soon become the rule rather than the exception.

B

believeinya

Unfortunately, we are now heading towards the point where advertising is baked into the OS. This was already the case with mobile smartphones, but I fear it will soon become the rule rather than the exception.

That was already the case with cell phones. But I'm afraid you're right. You can no longer avoid it with Smart TVs too.

H

he4rt-br34k-k1d

So it can be turned off for now, but we already know that it will not be possible in the future. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's getting easier and easier to get away from all the devices. If there's one thing I hate, it's advertising on an operating system, and that drives me away as a customer.

R

RGB

Luckily, it's easy to turn it off. All you have to do is this:
Settings > Personalization > Start and turning off the toggle for "Show recommendations for tips, app promotions, and more."

Still crazy that this is done. Windows OS is a paid product (even on a prebuilt, the license is paid by the OEM) and there is simply no advertising in it. An operating system shouldn't be a billboard.

O

OK-Alex

I honestly don't understand why Microsoft is doing this, because I really can't imagine that it makes that much money, and it's just super bad for the image of Windows operating system and Microsoft Corporation. They make money like water from all sorts of things, aren't the few people who accidentally click on their sponsored links just a drop in the ocean?

F

fanta101

I honestly don't understand why Microsoft is doing this, because I really can't imagine that it makes that much money, and it's just super bad for the image of Windows operating system and Microsoft Corporation. They make money like water from all sorts of things, aren't the few people who accidentally click on their sponsored links just a drop in the ocean?

It's more about giving them a sense of where they can and can't put ads. Microsoft Corporation has been looking for ways to put more advertising-like things into Windows OS for a long time without much success. Personally, I think this is just a trial balloon.