Kenya's top police officials appeared in court Thursday to address the case of three missing persons from Mlolongo.
Inspector General Douglas Kanja and Director of Criminal Investigations Mohamed Amin responded to a court order about the December 16 disappearance of Justus Mutumwa, Martin Mwau, and Karani Muema.
Speaking before Justice Chacha Mwita, Kanja confirmed the missing persons report had been filed at both Mlolongo and Athi River police stations. He ordered the DCI to launch an investigation led by Assistant Inspector General Paul Wachira.
"I confirm that we have none of the men in our custody. But I want to assure Kenyans that they are safe," Kanja told the court, emphasizing his respect for court orders.
DCI Chief Amin testified that investigations remain active. He stated that once the investigations are complete, the case file will be sent to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.
"The missing persons are not under the custody of the national police service. We have not arrested them and they are not under our custody," Amin said. He added that under present conditions, they cannot produce the bodies or file any charges.
The investigation continues as authorities seek answers about the three men's whereabouts since their reported abduction in mid-December.
Inspector General Douglas Kanja and Director of Criminal Investigations Mohamed Amin responded to a court order about the December 16 disappearance of Justus Mutumwa, Martin Mwau, and Karani Muema.
Speaking before Justice Chacha Mwita, Kanja confirmed the missing persons report had been filed at both Mlolongo and Athi River police stations. He ordered the DCI to launch an investigation led by Assistant Inspector General Paul Wachira.
"I confirm that we have none of the men in our custody. But I want to assure Kenyans that they are safe," Kanja told the court, emphasizing his respect for court orders.
DCI Chief Amin testified that investigations remain active. He stated that once the investigations are complete, the case file will be sent to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.
"The missing persons are not under the custody of the national police service. We have not arrested them and they are not under our custody," Amin said. He added that under present conditions, they cannot produce the bodies or file any charges.
The investigation continues as authorities seek answers about the three men's whereabouts since their reported abduction in mid-December.