Are men really the gatekeepers of relationships?

M

Maria Martemucci

In what way are men gatekeepers of relationships or long-term commitments?

recommended
O
Generally speaking, when it comes to relationships, both men and women hold power at different stages. At first, men may be seen as the gatekeepers of marriage, but after the wedding, women can become the ones who hold the reins. One thing to keep in mind is that most divorces are initiated by women so that's that.
O

Omari

Generally speaking, when it comes to relationships, both men and women hold power at different stages. At first, men may be seen as the gatekeepers of marriage, but after the wedding, women can become the ones who hold the reins. One thing to keep in mind is that most divorces are initiated by women so that's that.

recommended
Z

Zaria Brittaney

I disagree with that.

Most relationships end due to women leaving.

Women are the gatekeepers of relationships, sex, and family.

G

Gigachad

No ring, no proposal, no wedding, no kids. The family court system needs to be reformed. Do you want to lose half or more of everything? Think about it, long and hard. Marriage is not worth the mental, emotional, and financial risk.

Z

Zaria Brittaney

To be fair, if no men proposed marriage, almost no marriages would occur. If no marriages occur, almost no families would be created.

No offense, but from what I see around me, upper-class women have just as much power as upper-class men (they pick the marriage partner and they decide if the marriage continues).

Some lower-class women are single moms anyway as low socio-economic status men are usually not good providers. Women of that category do it all in the end. So yeah, if a woman wants a kid, she can have one... she does not need a bad marriage. A man does not have the option of doing it all by himself.

A

Alloces

No offense, but from what I see around me, upper-class women have just as much power as upper-class men (they pick the marriage partner and they decide if the marriage continues).

Some lower-class women are single moms anyway as low socio-economic status men are usually not good providers. Women of that category do it all in the end. So yeah, if a woman wants a kid, she can have one... she does not need a bad marriage. A man does not have the option of doing it all by himself.

Well, even if a woman is okay with having a child by herself, she will still need a man's DNA from somewhere since women don't produce children on their own. Additionally, raising a child as a single parent can get expensive so a high income source that greatly exceeds the median wage would likely be needed as well. However, most people do not make over €100k.

Also, are you not familiar with surrogacy? Some men have been going that route for some time now, and before you say "That's expensive", I ask you this: Should someone who can't afford the equivalent of a standard down payment on a €500-600k home prioritize having children, or would they be better off focusing on improving their financial situation first?

Z

Zaria Brittaney

Well, even if a woman is okay with having a child by herself, she will still need a man's DNA from somewhere since women don't produce children on their own. Additionally, raising a child as a single parent can get expensive so a high income source that greatly exceeds the median wage would likely be needed as well. However, most people do not make over €100k.

Also, are you not familiar with surrogacy? Some men have been going that route for some time now, and before you say "That's expensive", I ask you this: Should someone who can't afford the equivalent of a standard down payment on a €500-600k home prioritize having children, or would they be better off focusing on improving their financial situation first?

I am familiar with surrogacy, but men don't want to take care of newborns, infants, and children. They want the benefit of being seen as a family man but they want a wife to take care of it. I think we're nowadays just staring at the end of marriage as an institution.

F

Fernando Freijeiro

Romantic love and companionate marriage only date from the Early Modern Period (1600s). It followed changes in the standard of living. It seems like marriage based on romantic love has run its course. Now women do not need a husband for economic support and marriage alliances between families are less important in the individualist society of modernity.

J

Juan Leonidas

Myself, I want "the girlfriend experience" with a steady diet of sex again and the only way to get that is to not make it official. I have no issues with a serious "girlfriend" relationship.

H

Hamzah

I don't know. I have noticed some women having multiple marriages too.

There's always going to be exceptions. Just like some women upload TikToks of themselves whining about how they wished they'd gotten married and had kids instead of pursuing a career, that allows them to live an independent and dignified life. That doesn't mean all women feel the same way. Just like the opposite, women regret getting married and having kids.

J

Jonetta Royster

There's always going to be exceptions. Just like some women upload TikToks of themselves whining about how they wished they'd gotten married and had kids instead of pursuing a career, that allows them to live an independent and dignified life. That doesn't mean all women feel the same way. Just like the opposite, women regret getting married and having kids.

Those women are just looking for clout. Any woman who truly wants those things and a partner will ask their circle. Not the internet. People just be saying anything for clout these days.

Q

Quetzalcoatl

It's not a matter of who wants to remarry, it's a matter of who is able to. No sensible man wants to marry a divorced woman because she's most likely the one who caused the divorce, and will likely do it again.