Artificial intelligence prompt engineering for writing

M

Mercurian Aspirations

I know some people are using OpenAI ChatGPT for different use cases. But what are some prompt engineering techniques geared towards writing essays, social media posts, video descriptions and articles.

recommended
K
You can try some of these, however; bear in mind some of these prompts don't always work with a single prompt depending on what you are trying to do and the LLM-powered AI chatbots you are using. It's a matter of trial and error, of course, you can tweak them to meet your needs. Another trick is to use them one after another on multiple tabs and compare which output is better. You can also patch together different paragraphs or sentences from various LLM-powered AI chatbots until everything sounds coherent.

Editing prompts​

You are a book editor who has worked on dozens upon dozens of New York Times Best Sellers. I'd very much like to kindly ask you to go through some of the best works you have encountered thus far and apply...
M

Makanaki

You interact with the Large Language Model (LLM) as though you are talking to a real human being. For example, imagine you have a team of technical writers or contributors, all you have to do as a boss is tell them what helpful content they should produce for your product, service, and/or the type of material that should be on your personal or your company's blog.

P

Pharoah

It not that hard as you might think. I mean, think of it this way, you are essentially tailoring your questions to elicit the desired responses from the LLM. It's like giving the model a roadmap, directing its cognitive journey to yield results that align with your informational objectives.

A

Annabelle Nelson

Prompt mastery with pre-trained LLMs is more like having social skills to elicit information from people. There is no need to overthink it. All you gotta do is type what you want concisely but you also gotta do it in a creative fashion i.e., thinking outside the box and you may want to avoid the these common words and phrases ChatGPT:
  • It's important to note
  • Delve into
  • Tapestry
  • Bustling
  • In summary
  • Remember that…
  • Dive into
  • Navigating (e.g., "Navigating the landscape," "Navigating the complexities of")
  • Landscape (e.g., "The landscape of...")
  • Testament (e.g., "a testament to...")
  • In the world of
  • Realm
  • Embark
  • Analogies to being a conductor or to music (e.g., "virtuoso," "symphony")
  • Vibrant
  • Metropolis
  • Firstly
  • Moreover
  • Crucial
  • To consider
  • Essential
  • There are a few considerations
  • Ensure
  • It's essential to
  • Furthermore
  • Vital
  • Keen
  • Fancy
  • As a professional
  • However
  • Therefore
  • Additionally
  • Specifically
  • Generally
  • Consequently
  • Importantly
  • Similarly
  • Nonetheless
  • As a result
  • Indeed
  • Thus
  • Alternatively
  • Notably
  • As well as
  • Despite
  • Essentially
  • While
  • Unless
  • Also
  • Even though
  • Because
  • In contrast
  • Although
  • In order to
  • Due to
  • Even if
  • Given that
  • Arguably
  • You may want to
  • This is not an exhaustive list
  • You could consider
  • On the other hand
  • As previously mentioned
  • It's worth noting that
  • To summarize
  • Ultimately
  • To put it simply
  • Pesky
  • Promptly
  • Dive into
  • In today's digital era
  • Reverberate
  • Enhance
  • Emphasise/Emphasize
  • Hustle and bustle
  • Revolutionize
  • Foster
  • Labyrinthine
  • Moist
  • Remnant
  • Subsequently
  • Nestled
  • Game changer
  • Labyrinth
  • Gossamer
  • Enigma
  • Whispering
  • Sights unseen
  • Sounds unheard
  • Dance
  • Metamorphosis
  • Indelible
  • My friend
  • Fellow (nickname)
  • In conclusion
P.S. Some generative AI chatbots tend to add random extra spaces at the start of sentences. I guess it is something some people do not notice; however, if you want to be good with prompt engineering I suppose you should.

Some AI custom prompts you can try​

Analyze this writing sample and provide feedback on how to optimize it for conciseness, clarity, readability, grammar, spelling, and effective delivery. Suggest specific revisions or restructuring to improve the overall quality and effectiveness of the text: (Paste)

I'd like you to revise this passage to improve clarity and readability for a general audience. Focus on simplifying complex ideas, using straightforward language, and ensuring logical flow: (Paste)

Help me improve the delivery and impact of this writing. Identify areas where I can rephrase or reorganize content to make the writing more engaging, persuasive, and impactful for the intended audience: (Paste)

Proofread this text for any grammatical errors, typos, or spelling mistakes. Ensure proper sentence structure and punctuation: (Paste)

Ensure perfect grammar and spelling throughout this text. Correct any errors and inconsistencies: (Paste)

Rephrase this text to improve its flow and delivery. Make it sound more engaging and interesting to read: (Paste)

Rephrase this text for improved readability. Aim for a natural flow and sentence structure that is easy to understand: (Paste)

Here's a draft. Can you analyze it for areas of improvement across conciseness, clarity, readability, grammar, spelling, and delivery? Suggest specific edits and rewrites: (Draft)

Analyze this text for delivery. Can you suggest alternative phrasings or sentence structures that would be more impactful or engaging for the target audience?: (Draft)

Rewrite this text to be as concise and clear as possible, while maintaining its original meaning. Eliminate unnecessary words and redundancy: (Paste)

Review this text for overall effectiveness. Can you rewrite sections to improve the flow of ideas and strengthen the argument/narrative: (Paste)

Remix this text to sound like (Whatever or whoever you want): (Paste)

Remix this and avoid fancy words: (Paste)

Don't use big words, figures of speech, idioms, comparisons, analogies, metaphors, and similes in your writing.

Make this text more palatable for a hip-hop audience: (Text)

K

King Isaak

You can try some of these, however; bear in mind some of these prompts don't always work with a single prompt depending on what you are trying to do and the LLM-powered AI chatbots you are using. It's a matter of trial and error, of course, you can tweak them to meet your needs. Another trick is to use them one after another on multiple tabs and compare which output is better. You can also patch together different paragraphs or sentences from various LLM-powered AI chatbots until everything sounds coherent.

Editing prompts​

You are a book editor who has worked on dozens upon dozens of New York Times Best Sellers. I'd very much like to kindly ask you to go through some of the best works you have encountered thus far and apply that knowledge like a magna cum laude student, with at least a 3.5 total GPA (grade point average) and a class rank in the 75th percentile or above. Your task is to edit the following text in active voice to be clearer, more concise, and close to a 9th grade reading level: (Text).

Embellish, and yes craft some cool sentences about: (Topic)

Consider the following article I have written myself. I want you to organize this article into different header tags that will make it helpful content optimized for SEO and also with a readability age of a 9 year old or a Flesch-Kincaid reading ease score of at least 70 or greater: (Topic)

I have a writing prompt that I want you to improve so that I can use it when prompting a Large Language Model. Here is my prompt: (Prompt)

When it comes to writing helpful content that engages any simple-minded reader, two factors are crucial, "perplexity" and "burstiness." Perplexity measures the complexity of the text whilst burstiness compares the variations of sentences. So the things is, these human beings with a short-attention span who spend too much time on Instagram and TikTok tend to write with greater burstiness, for example, with some longer or more complex sentences alongside shorter ones. Your LLM-powered AI sentences tend to be more uniform, complex and monotonous without emotion. Therefore, when writing the following content, I am going to ask you to have a good balance of emotion, perplexity and burstiness. Also make sure the text is coherent without repetition, like it has to sound like a proper intriguing essay and please, I beg you, don't mention these words or phrases: ("perplexity"), ("burstiness"), ("in the vast landscape"), ("within the pulsating heart"), ("in the intricate dance of"), ("in the intricate world of"). Do you understand? All you have to do is edit what I will paste.

// N.B. When the chatbot responds you paste your (Text)

Active voice prompts​

Talk about or explain (Topic) in an active voice with only a max of 400 characters.

Write a 1200 word informal informative article in Ogden's Basic English 850 words with a Flesch-Kincaid reading ease score of 88 or greater. The stuff you have to write about should cover this: (Text)

Talk about or explain (Topic) in an active voice with only a max of 400 characters and a Flesch-Kincaid reading ease score of at least 70 or greater.

Imagine you're a music journalist writing a preview article about an upcoming album release. The artist is known for their innovative, genre-bending sound, and they're about to drop a highly anticipated new record. Your goal is to get readers excited about the new music by describing the first single in an engaging, conversational tone - like you're chatting with a friend about the hot new track. Focus on using active voice, vivid descriptions, and a casual, enthusiastic writing style to really draw the reader in.

Write in a blended style of 25% Lester Bangs, 25% Ben Fong-Torres, and 50% active voice about: (Text)

Compose a succinct, vivid description of (Topic), infused with the distinctive literary styles of Hunter S. Thompson's gonzo journalism, Henry Theophilus Finck's music critics, Eric Blom's encyclopedic knowledge, William Burroughs' experimental narratives, Kylie Jenner's conversational tone, Amber Rose's empowered voice, and Anna Wintour's elegant precision. Maximum 280 characters!

Describe (Topic) in a collaborative tone of Anna Wintour, Ugur Akinci and Lisa K. Melancon without mentioning anything about Anna Wintour, Ugur Akinci and Lisa K. Meloncon or anything to do with Vogue Magazine. So just to recap, remember the topic is about (Topic) and you have to use Anna Wintour, Ugur Akinci and Lisa K. Melancon's stylistic form of blended writing style and for a lack of a better phrase, a hybrid vocab to piece this content together without complex terms and jargon.

Generate an article with a unique voice that combines the distinctive styles of four renowned authors - Chuck Palahniuk, known for his dark humor and satirical commentary; David Hume, who brought philosophical rigor and skepticism to bear on everyday life; Voltaire, famous for his wit and incisive social critiques; and F. Scott Fitzgerald, celebrated for his elegant prose and keen insights into human nature. The topic of the article will be "(Topic)." The article should convey the sense that it was penned by a single author, without explicitly referencing or attributing any specific elements to these individual writers. Instead, seamlessly weave together aspects of their respective styles to create a cohesive whole.

Write an informative and educational article describing: (Topic)

Write an informative and instructional article describing: (Topic)

Write an article in active voice about (Topic) without using the following words or phrases: ("in general", "however", "it is important", "on the other hand", "additionally", "furthermore", "in conclusion", "ïn summary"). If you find yourself trying to use the words or phrases I have just mentioned, think of yourself as a failure! And try to do better to make me happy by following such a simple instruction! But I do know though, one thing is sho'nuff true, you are smart, fo' sho'. So you go ahead and do your thing, mate. Make me proud. By the way, lest I forget, the last paragraph should not start or include with the following phrases: ("in conclusion" or "ïn summary"), neither should you find yourself starting any paragraph or sentence whatsoever you are going to write with the following words and phrases: ("furthermore", "in essence" or "moreover"). You know why? It's sheer lazy writing to use those words, check your output to make sure none of those words and phrases are not found in your response. Once again, I want you to use a thesaurus in your LLM brain to craft a well written and engaging article to follow aforementioned instructions.

Turn the following brainstorm or draft and write it into a 1920s yellow journalism diction and a very little mix of Valley girl vocabulary but also in active voice: (Draft).

Write a highbrow news article in the style of The Guardian about: (Topic).

Write a casual thinkpiece in an active voice using the following draft: (Draft).

Write in a loquacious bubbly active voice, an intellectual and extremely sophisticated brainiac verbose article about (Topic). Also include these key points (Key-points).

Write an academic Ph.D. essay in an active voice about (Topic), what they are, how they are formed, and how they operate.

First Prompt:

Write a brainbox scholarly Ph.D.-level essay in an active voice and in the diction of ("Milton Friedman"), ("Thomas Sowell"), ("John Maynard Keynes"), ("Robert Gabriel Mugabe") and slightly close to a 7th grade reading level but not too watered down about the following subject: (Topic). Also, when you are writing don't mention the following words or phrases: ("Milton+Friedman"), ("Milton") ("Friedman"), ("Thomas Sowell"), ("Thomas"), ("Sowell), ("John+Maynard+Keynes"), ("John"), ("Maynard"), ("Keynes"), ("Tapestry"), ("Keynesian"), (Robert+G.+Mugabe), ("R. Gabriel+Mugabe"), ("R.G.+Mugabe"), ("Robert"), ("Gabriel"), ("Mugabe"), ("Guerrilla+Warfare") in the text. Just complete this task by eloquently combining their vocabulary or style of writing as though it is a single indistinguishable voice. That being said, produce helpful fresh content for me and remove any mention or reference of the words in brackets when you write the essay. You must always stick to the topic or subject I asked you to write without any noticeable repetition. Nothing more and nothing less. So you go ahead buddy and start writing.

Second Prompt:

You still mentioned ("Milton Friedman"), ("Thomas Sowell"), ("John Maynard Keynes"), ("Robert Gabriel Mugabe"). Suggest a better prompt so that you won't mention them.

Third Prompt:

Write the above in a combined vibe.

Fourth Prompt:

// use the fourth prompt if it still mentions ("Milton Friedman"), ("Thomas Sowell"), ("John Maynard Keynes"), ("Robert Gabriel Mugabe"). Normally at this stage the chatbot should write a decent essay without mentioning the words you do not want or if you want you can use whatever prompt it suggests to you. In other words, you are basically asking the artificial intelligence to give you a better prompt so that it corrects itself. It's more like telling the AI chatbot to bust a nut on itself if you catch my drift.

You still mentioned ("Milton Friedman"), ("Thomas Sowell"), ("John Maynard Keynes"), ("Robert Gabriel Mugabe"). Suggest a better prompt so that you won't mention them.

Write a boffin and hipster-inspired loquacious new music release article in the style of Rolling Stone music publication magazine about: (Topic)

I want an article written in active voice and a little vocab of 19th century vernacular about: (Topic). Make sure to include these keywords (Keywords). Don't include any of these keywords (Keywords).

I want an article written in active voice and The Telegraph vernacular and with a bit of a hipster modern vibe about (Topic). Make sure to include these keywords (Keywords).

Write in active voice a 20th century newsprint article about: (Topic).

Write a music release news article in the diction of Time magazine about: (Topic).

Write about (Topic) in a Valspeak stream of consciousness style.

Write in concise and in a suburban scientific conversational active voice about (Topic).

Write about (Topic) in a scholarly academic style with a little bit of an informal brainiac redneck vibe.

Write about (Topic) in a manner similar to Stephen Hawking or Cormac McCarthy.

Write about (Topic) in a absurdist writing style.

I want you to act as a contemporary essay writer. You will need to first create a table of contents, research a given topic, formulate a thesis statement, and create a persuasive piece of work that is both informative and engaging with a good readability in active voice. My topic is: (Topic).

Write a sassy Kardashian Valleyspeak aka Valspeak an (Instructional guide) or (Gossip article) in active voice on (How to) or about (Topic)

Write a gonzo-style article about a (Topic) absurdly. Use Valspeak and active voice to describe the trend and its impact on youth culture, and inject a Hunter S. Thompson-inspired perspective on the ridiculousness of it all.

Write in the style of a sassy uber-smart junior high school student with a blunt god complex, spice it up in active voice, and with an approximate amount of grammatical and spelling errors suitable for this age group: (Topic)

Write a bubbly film dialog of characters (X), (Y), (Z) discussing: (Topic)

Write a captivating game dialog of characters discussing: (Topic)

Write an opinion piece discussing the portrayal of (X-Portrayal) in modern cinema. Explore how costume choices may impact the perception of (Subject 01, Subject 02, etc) in (This genre) of movies. Consider the cultural shifts and societal expectations that influence these decisions, and share your thoughts on whether such portrayals are progressive or restrictive.

General exclusion and rewrite prompts​

Rewrite the following in casual active voice and Ogden Basic English vocabulary: (Text)

Rewrite using Ogden Basic English vocabulary for without using verbose jargon or metaphors in plain, straightforward writing that's accessible to a broad audience: (Text)

Rewrite using Ogden Basic English vocabulary without using metaphors for informal, conversational writing on social media, messaging apps, and blogs:

Translate this into American or U.S. English: (Text)

Translate this into conversational U.S. English and Ogden basic vocabulary: (Text)

Check the internet and rewrite this to avoid plagiarism while maintaining the same tone or the style of writing: (Text)

Correct the punctuation, readability, grammar and spelling for the following content whilst maintaining the same tone or style of writing:

Rewrite the following in the style of (X-Brand), a Flesch-Kincaid reading ease score of at least 80 or greater and also in active voice:

Come up with 6 different question titles for the following text. The titles should be a max of 60 characters: (Text)

Rewrite the following in well-structured paragraphs and also in casual active voice: (Text)

Rewrite the following in sassy 3rd person and in active voice:

Rewrite the following as a writer characterized by wit, sass, and a touch of condescension delivered in an irreverent and active voice playful manner:

Spintax or rewrite the following in Valley accent, 1st person and in active voice:

Spintax the following in (The Guardian) + (The Telegraph) style and in active voice:

Spintax the following with a combined vibe of (LipstickAlley), (Boxden) and (The Coli) in active voice:

Respond to (user) in an informal and conversational, with elements of personal opinion and commentary. Also use a casual tone of at least a Flesch-Kincaid reading ease score of 70 or greater.

Rewrite and enhance the following in a Flesch-Kincaid reading ease score of 70 or greater using a conversational tone in 1st person: (Topic).

Rewrite the following paragraph in active voice but also in Flesch-Kincaid reading ease score of 70 or greater about: (Topic).

Explain (Topic) in second-person point of view without using the following words or phrases in brackets: (in general), (however), (it is important), (on the other hand), (additionally), (furthermore), (in conclusion), (refers to), (moreover), (ultimately), (in essence).

How to make AI-generated content less detectable​

The following keywords are what AI content detector tools first look for in a written text. You can try using the prompt below, although the problem is that chatbots love using the phrase ("in conclusion"). The point is, that editing is something you sometimes gotta do manually.

But what is also rather interesting is nowadays if one were to use the words or phrases below, there is a high chance or likelihood they will be accused of either plagiarism, academic fraud, or using AI-generated content even though it's probably original text, meaning you can not put all your faith and trust what into any AI writing detector has got to say. It seems to me like a money grab and grifters are going to grift. There will be so many AI product scams in the next couple of years just like all the crypto scams.

Rewrite the above, without using these following words or phrases I have put in brackets: (in general), (however), (it is important), (on the other hand), (additionally), (in addition to), (furthermore), (in conclusion), (refers to), (in the realm of), (in the world of), (my dear interlocutor), (moreover), (ultimately), (in essence), (another essential component of), (in summary), (in the vast landscape of), (in the vast expanse of), (in the grand symphony of), (within the pulsating heart of), (in the intricate dance of), (in the intricate world of), (tapestry), (demystifying the labyrinth of), (in the labyrinthine realm of), (in the bustling marketplace of), (in the bustling world of), (in the annals of), (at the heart of), (on the technical front), (to unravel the essence of), (another important element of), (remember that), (firstly), (secondly), (thirdly), (finally), (in the end).

Remove these words or phrases from your previous response: (Words or Phrases You Want Removed).

Hello, my friend you still used (in conclusion). What did I say you should do?

Rewrite the above, make sure there isn't any single sentence or paragraph that starts with the word (By).

You still started a (sentence) or (paragraph) using the word (By). What did I say you should do?

Re-explain in (second-person) point of view using (F. Scott Fitzgerald) writing style.

Rewrite the above in an expository writing style.

Rephrase the following into (formal) active voice:

Rephrase the following in active voice and early 1900s highbrow intellectual diction:

Describe this style of writing and suggest a prompt to use it: (Paste the text you want)

Factual expository text style​

Write a brief biography of (name), highlighting their early life, career achievements, and notable contributions to their field.

Compose a succinct overview of the life and career of (name), focusing on their upbringing, professional achievements, and impact on their respective industry or field. Include key details such as significant milestones, notable collaborations, and any critical acclaim or recognition they have received.

Compose a biographical entry for an encyclopedia about (individual). Focus on their accomplishments and contributions to their field.

Craft a comprehensive biographical entry for an encyclopedia detailing the remarkable achievements and significant contributions of (individual) within their respective field. Emphasize their impact, innovations, and influence on the field, highlighting key milestones and noteworthy accomplishments that have shaped their legacy.

Write a factual report outlining the causes and effects of (environmental issue).

Create an informative article detailing the scientific phenomenon of (phenomenon name). Ensure the language is clear and avoids technical jargon.

recommended
E

EL Burrito

How about creating your custom GPT? Wouldn't that be a good idea?

In my own opinion creating your custom GPT seems like a whole waste of time. It won't last and will get lost in the myriad of GPTs out there, and assuming it succeeded, there will be another huge crowd copying you. Instead, the only GPTs that will survive are the ones with value outside of OpenAI's ChatGPT ecosystem, which will be connected to a database application programming interface.

M

Mercurian Aspirations

In my own opinion creating your custom GPT seems like a whole waste of time. It won't last and will get lost in the myriad of GPTs out there, and assuming it succeeded, there will be another huge crowd copying you. Instead, the only GPTs that will survive are the ones with value outside of OpenAI's ChatGPT ecosystem, which will be connected to a database application programming interface.

Please explain what a database application programming interface is.

C

clearvision

I am sorry if this is a noob question, but why do we need custom versions of ChatGPT? Why can't you just prompt the AI chatbot to act as your desired character before beginning your conversation since it's all coming from the data gathered by the chatbot anyway?

E

EL Burrito

Please explain what a database application programming interface is.

Think of it as a key to your private database of information to point to. That database can look similar to something like Google Docs or Dropbox where files are located in addition to a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) for example. And as of recent OpenAI has been facing legal issues in regards to what information is contained in their database. If you have your database you remove yourself from that risk and can confidently share how you trained your model.

Z

Zara McLoughlin

I am sorry if this is a noob question, but why do we need custom versions of ChatGPT? Why can't you just prompt the AI chatbot to act as your desired character before beginning your conversation since it's all coming from the data gathered by the chatbot anyway?

At minimum, they are shortcuts. Before the custom GPT store, you had to copy or paste prompts for different purposes or personalities. Now you just click on the one you need.

4Dex

How does Perplexity AI fare against Open AI ChatGPT or Google Bard?

I prefer Perplexity AI over all the other Large Language Model AIs because it gives me opportunities to use OpenAI ChatGPT or Google Gemini all together in one platform instead of buying separate subscriptions.

G

Generation Z Genius

Is there a good reason why Google's search engine hasn't yet evolved to what Perplexity AI does?

Google makes a lot of money from advertising. Therefore, Google would find it difficult to implement this. It'll affect their ad sales a lot since they already have a system in place and this is very different.

T

The Man Upstairs

I kinda still don't get the difference between ChatGPT vs Perplexity AI. Can someone explain? What I do understand though is that they have citations when they generate a response you have asked.

C

Cheeze Burgers

Doesn't Perplexity AI have one huge omission? As far as I know, it can't read webpages but only search result pages. That limits its knowledge considerably. ChatGPT can browse and summarize or extract info from webpages, but Perplexity AI can't, as far as I know.

I

Iman Jethro

I kinda still don't get the difference between ChatGPT vs Perplexity AI. Can someone explain? What I do understand though is that they have citations when they generate a response you have asked.

Perplexity AI uses GPT technology and combines it with Google search results, using a strategy called retrieval augmented generation they give GPT context to answer your question from search results and the response you see on perplexity is from the GPT where the data from the internet is loaded into the prompt.