Scorpio

grand master
I thought Family Tree was Cassper Nyovest's clothing line just like Nadia Nakai has got that Bragga merchandise.

Black Panther

grand master
I thought Family Tree was Cassper Nyovest's clothing line just like Nadia Nakai has got that Bragga merchandise.

Ummm technically yes. Cassper Nyovest has got Family Tree merchandise. Apparently, he has a store that sells Family Tree clothing but at the same time, Family Tree is also Cassper's record label.

Black Panther

grand master
So what's the record label that Nadia Nakai is signed to then?

Nadia Nakai is also under Family Tree Records because bases on the current credits on Spotify it shows that Family Tree has got the license to the master recording and the publishing copyright of some of Nadai Nakai's music releases.

Nadia Nakai Record Label - Family Tree.png

Black Panther

grand master
Do ya think it was a good idea for Nadia Nakai to sign to Cassper Nyovest?

Look, the only person who is qualified to answer that question is Nadia Nakai herself.

Obviously Nadia Nakai would understand the decision she made to sign with Family Tree and will have a glimpse of the devil in the details when it comes to the record contract she was signing up for.

Scorpio

grand master
Matter of fact if you listen closely to those lyrics on Nadai Nakai's record Naaa Meaan you can actually hear her say "she is signed to Cassper Nyovest."

Why didn't Nadia Nakai just start her own record label? I don't understand how SA female rappers talk about the challenges of being in the SA Hip Hop industry but they are half-stepping when it comes to making boss moves of owning their own record labels and music publishing companies.

Black Panther

grand master
Why didn't Nadia Nakai just start her own record label? I don't understand how SA female rappers talk about the challenges of being in the SA Hip Hop industry but they are half-stepping when it comes to making boss moves of owning their own record labels and music publishing companies.

Your point about Nadia Nakai starting her own record label or a music publishing company for that matter. I think she is the only person that can answer that question because everything else would just be speculation and nothing else.

Another thing is that starting a record label in South Africa may sound like something easy to do but in reality it's not that easy to have a successful record label anywhere else in the world so maybe she decided to sign with Cassper Nyovest's Family Tree record label so she can learn the business and from there she will be able to handle her own. As you can see this is just speculation without tangible facts.

Scorpio

grand master
Nadia Nakai is also under Family Tree Records because bases on the current credits on Spotify it shows that Family Tree has got the license to the master recording and the publishing copyright of some of Nadai Nakai's music releases.

View attachment 1

If Cassper Nyovest's Family Tree is credited on Spotify as being both a sound record copyright owner and a music publishing copyright owner of some of Nadia Nakai's songs does that mean Cassper Nyovest gets every piece of the pie of music that Nadai Nakai releases under Family Tree.

Black Panther

grand master
If Cassper Nyovest's Family Tree is credited on Spotify as being both a sound record copyright owner and a music publishing copyright owner of some of Nadia Nakai's songs does that mean Cassper Nyovest gets every piece of the pie of music that Nadai Nakai releases under Family Tree.

I tell you what record contracts can be tricky unless you really know the details in the record deal. But from a standard record deal obviously, if Nadia Nakai is signed to Cassper Nyovest's Family Tree that means the record label will be entitled to recoup its cost of either promoting Nadai Nakai's songs from marketing, productions costs, music videos production costs etc.

At the end of the day, one can only speculate unless they have seen what Nadia Nakai's record deal with Family Tree looks like.

But as for music publishing obviously, Nadia Nakai is by default entitled to music publishing royalties whether from mechanical royalties, public performance royalties you name it unless she signed them music publishing royalties to Cassper Nyovest, and I really doubt she is that naive so let's leave it at that.