Let’s make a hip hop whine synth in u-he Diva. So to get started you have to initialize u-he Diva by selecting the Minimono template which comes with u-he Diva. Essentially the Minimono template in u-he Diva is modeled after the famous Mini Moog analog synthesizer.
1) An instance of Minimono in u-he Diva
2) Change the unison voices of u-he Diva to 4 and keep the stack voices to 1. The play mode for this whine synth is going to be legato to get those glide notes.
3) Adjust u-he Diva’s Glide 1 to a value of 30 and this will set the overall portamento rate.
4) The waveform for Osc1 set that to a triangle wave by moving the waveform knob down to a value of 3. The pitch of Osc1 change that to +1 octave, otherwise labeled as 4′ in u-he Diva. By default the volume of Osc1 would be turned all the way up therefore just leave it right there.
Whine Synth Filter and AMP Section
5) Select a 12dB filter and turn the filter cutoff point to a value of 110. Next turn the Filter Fm dial knob to the right with a value of 6. Doing so will result in Filter FM from Osc1 and that’s not to be confused with traditional FM.
6) Set attack time to a value of 10 but keep the decay time at 50 whilst the sustain level is turned up to 100.
Whine Synth Modulation and Effects
7) In u-he Diva click on the Modifications menu and navigate to the Feedback Mod. We are going to be modulating the Feedback Mod with note Velocity.
8) The following step is to modulate the waveform shape of Osc1 with LFO2. So click on the Shape Mod Osc to turn on the modulation. Navigate to LFO2 and change the sync to 1/1 but keep the LFO2 waveform as a triangle wave.
9) Now for the effects we are just going to use a classic chorus which comes with u-he Diva. Enable the chorus effect and set the rate to 32, depth leave it at 50 and wet amount at 23.