W

Warren Peace

How can I reduce the harshness of a bass guitar that sounds "strident" in the mix? The bass sounds fine in a live situation, but it comes across as almost too aggressive on the recording. I have tried various plugins, but I am open to any suggestions you may have. The rest of the recording sounds good. The bass was recorded directly into a Focusrite Claret audio interface.

recommended
N
Experiment with tone controls and playing technique. Consider using a high-quality DI box like the Neve RNDI or an amp preamp like the SansAmp. Split the bass into two tracks, one for the highs and one for the lows. You may also want to use a de-esser to reduce fret noise or other unwanted sounds. Additionally, try using good amp simulations.
N

NeonLuxe

Experiment with tone controls and playing technique. Consider using a high-quality DI box like the Neve RNDI or an amp preamp like the SansAmp. Split the bass into two tracks, one for the highs and one for the lows. You may also want to use a de-esser to reduce fret noise or other unwanted sounds. Additionally, try using good amp simulations.

recommended
M

Maverick

I suggest checking the frequency range of 2 kHz - 4 kHz and lowering it to see if it helps. "Strident" means harsh on the ears, so lowering this range should help. If the harshness is due to the transients (attack), you can use a transient shaper to reduce the attack or a compressor with a fast attack time to push the bass into the background. I hope this advice helps.

C

Cypher

Find a good bass amp simulator and EQ the frequencies that trouble you. If that doesn't work, consider layering a synth bass or pitch-shifted analog dubbing.