general Music Streaming Service Spotify Has Removed R. Kelly and XXXTentacion From It's Playlists

Numero Uno

grand master
The world's popular music streaming service Spotify has made the decision to remove R. Kelly and XXXTentacion's music from showing up in it's automated and algorithmic recommendations which are commonly known as promotional playlists.

Spotify exercised it's right to pull XXXTentacion and R. Kelly's music because the online music streaming service has recently implemented it's new "Hate Content and Hateful Conduct Public Policy."

R. Kelly has been in the news for his sexual assault allegations and earlier on WOC started a movement called #MuteRKelly a means to get R. Kelly's shows canceled with the result of highlighting the R&B singer's allegations of sexual misconduct.

Attachments

• Spotify Removed R. Kelly Music From It's Playlists.jpg
    Spotify Removed R. Kelly Music From It's Playlists.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 306

Scorpio

grand master
Are they going to do the same to Chris Brown's music since he got charged with domestic violence abuse after that case with Rihanna?

Numero Uno

grand master
Are they going to do the same to Chris Brown's music since he got charged with domestic violence abuse after that case with Rihanna?

I don't know whether Spotify will take measures to also remove Chris Brown's music from its playlists.

But looking at Spotify's - Hate Content and Hateful Conduct Public Policy then I am pretty sure some people would say all Chris Brown's music shouldn't even show up on Spotify's official playlists.

Scorpio

grand master
I don't know whether Spotify will take measures to also remove Chris Brown's music from its playlists.

But looking at Spotify's - Hate Content and Hateful Conduct Public Policy then I am pretty sure some people would say all Chris Brown's music shouldn't even show up on Spotify's official playlists.

Censoring music is a bit tricky and too biased. If Spotify is really unbiased I bet you most of these A-list artists wouldn't make it on its playlists as far as Spotify's Hate Content and Hateful Conduct is concerned.

Because think about it, most mainstream Hip Hip is nothing but violence, drugs, and what-not. The same is true when it comes to pop music except there is less emphasis on violence but more on sex, drugs and hateful speech.

Black Panther

grand master
I have read about Michel'le abuse by Dr. Dre but what has Nas done now?

Nas' ex-wife Kelis explained in the interview she did with Hollywood Unlocked's Jason Lee about the mental and physical she went through during the time she was with Nas from 2005 to 2009.

Borrowdale Barron

grand master
All I can see here is that Spotify is literally leaving the choice to support controversial artists up to the consumer.

They don't want to be caught up in the social justice campaign that has been going in the media including other things like the #MeToo movement etc.

Lenard

Lenard Maseko
All I can see here is that Spotify is literally leaving the choice to support controversial artists up to the consumer.

They don't want to be caught up in the social justice campaign that has been going in the media including other things like the #MeToo movement etc.

You know what's currently going on sort of reminds me of how the mainstream radio stations used to censor Hip Hop or rap music from even mentioning any slang words about cannabis while allowing Eric Clapton to sing his heart out about the pleasures of Cocaine.

Spotify will, of course, be biased in all of this.

Black Panther

grand master
You know what's currently going on sort of reminds me of how the mainstream radio stations used to censor Hip Hop or rap music from even mentioning any slang words about cannabis, while allowing Eric Clapton to sing his heart out about the pleasures of Cocaine.

Spotify will, of course, be biased in all of this.

Well, I tell you what, if Spotify keeps on doing this then they’ll have no artists.