Valhalla DSP reverb plugins vs Apple Logic audio units

L

LuvLife

Many users recommend using Valhalla DSP digital reverbs instead of Apple Logic Pro's stock reverberation audio units. I'm quite happy with the ChromaVerb; you can get into the fine details and parameters including a parametric equalizer. However, I am curious about what Valhalla offers that ChromaVerb does not.

recommended
N
All algorithmic reverbs sound at least slightly different, and many have different and additional controls these days. The Valhalla reverbs have a certain character that some people like, but that doesn't mean they're better (or worse) than Apple's Chromaverb! All of Logic Pro's audio units are great, but there are many other (i.e., FX plugins) fish in the sea to try as well such as:

Plugin nameDeveloper
Pro-RFabFilter Software Instruments
Nimbus, R4, RAUMExponential Audio/iZotope/Native Instruments
Altiverb (convolution reverb)Audio Ease
BlackholeEventide Audio
Oxford Reverb
C

Cutting Edge Retro

Valhalla DSP digital reverbs offer an incredible range of algorithms and an abundance of customizable parameters, making it the perfect choice for those who want to take their sound to the next level. While ChromaVerb in Logic Pro on macOS is fantastic, I find that Valhalla provides a more immersive and engaging experience that truly elevates the sound. Of course, everyone's preferences for "lushness" may vary, but Valhalla is worth checking out!

N

New Decision

All algorithmic reverbs sound at least slightly different, and many have different and additional controls these days. The Valhalla reverbs have a certain character that some people like, but that doesn't mean they're better (or worse) than Apple's Chromaverb! All of Logic Pro's audio units are great, but there are many other (i.e., FX plugins) fish in the sea to try as well such as:

Plugin nameDeveloper
Pro-RFabFilter Software Instruments
Nimbus, R4, RAUMExponential Audio/iZotope/Native Instruments
Altiverb (convolution reverb)Audio Ease
BlackholeEventide Audio
Oxford ReverbSonnox
SuperPlateSoundtoys
Cinematic Rooms, Seventh Heaven ProfessionalLiquidSonics

recommended
R

RainMaker

Valhalla plugins are unique. Easy to use and customize with great results. Ask yourself why Valhalla SuperMassive, the free one, is present in every professional studio recording?

K

KBar

EQs: all sound the same. Reverbs: They all sound different. The reverbs in Logic Pro are great! I use them all the time. But every third-party reverb has its own distinctive sound, and they expand your palette.

I

imhim88

The Valhalla VintageVerb effect plugin is a beautiful, lush reverb that I enjoy using. I'd recommend trying the demo and seeing if you like it. If not, you'll never use it, so it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I tend to use it on background vocals, keys, or anything where I want a rich, noticeable reverb. I'm sure it's great on lead vocals, etc., but I haven't played with it much on those.