What does Image-Line's Maximus plugin actually do?

H

Hosteen

Sup guys, so what exactly does Image-Line's Maximus plugin do?

I am sorry if this is a noob question.

recommended
L
It is a multiband compressor and saturator and it can also do de-essing e.g., when you wanna reduce the amount of sibilance, particularly for vocals. In other words, it's sort of like FabFilter Software Instruments Pro-MB and iZotope Ozone Dynamics. Although like I have said it allows you to saturate your audio material similar to what you can do with Fruity Limiter.
L

Lobengula

It is a multiband compressor and saturator and it can also do de-essing e.g., when you wanna reduce the amount of sibilance, particularly for vocals. In other words, it's sort of like FabFilter Software Instruments Pro-MB and iZotope Ozone Dynamics. Although like I have said it allows you to saturate your audio material similar to what you can do with Fruity Limiter.

recommended
D

Darth Vader

To be honest, the IL Maximus fx plugin that's a multiband compressor and limiter that doesn't sound very good in contemporary times. There are way better tools for what it does.

B

Brother Enoch

To the people saying it sounds bad, anyone care to elaborate more on why it sounds bad?

Well, it doesn't make a song louder without falling apart and sounding nasty. Even the Waves Audio L2 Ultramaximizer Peak Limiter plugin is way better although being older than IL Maximus.

The moral of the story here is that many stock plugins included in DAWs are just there because music software developers have to make them available for noobs who are still learning. Otherwise, it won't be a complete fully featured DAW if it doesn't come with basic plugins so to speak. BTW, I am not saying all stock effects are bad. However, when it comes to certain audio effects the difference is night and day.

T

Tanju

It splits your audio into different frequency bands and lets you apply compression to each band separately. So you can really fine-tune the compression settings for different parts of your track, like the lows, mids, and highs.

And like others have said, Maximus also comes with some sick features like stereo imaging and saturation. It helps you widen your sound and make it feel more spacious. Plus, it adds some warmth and grit with its saturation options, giving your tracks that extra flavor they need.