C

Conor

I often hear people describing the sound of a paramatric EQ having that unique 3D sound. What is that all about?

recommended
M
"3D sound" is one of those made-up buzzwords often used by people who want to feel good after purchasing analog signal processing effects or synth instruments. Sometimes it's used by marketing people in the pro audio to sell you more gear. A fool and his money are soon parted after all.

Thus the term "3D sound" is a mere fabrication, much like the term "warm". There is nothing scientific about it. As a result, another dude could also say their compressor makes the audio material sound 4D, and who is going to argue with them? However, I do think it's opinionated mumbo jumbo.
K

Kofi

Some non-linear equalizers produce harmonics and sometimes subtle L/R channel imbalances. Or let us just say boxtone in short. I guess this is what certain people mean when they are talking about a 3D sound.

M

Mensa

"3D sound" is one of those made-up buzzwords often used by people who want to feel good after purchasing analog signal processing effects or synth instruments. Sometimes it's used by marketing people in the pro audio to sell you more gear. A fool and his money are soon parted after all.

Thus the term "3D sound" is a mere fabrication, much like the term "warm". There is nothing scientific about it. As a result, another dude could also say their compressor makes the audio material sound 4D, and who is going to argue with them? However, I do think it's opinionated mumbo jumbo.

recommended
I

Ienobu

Although it may not be a scientifically exact phrase, it serves its purpose of providing a vivid description to the listener of the perceived sound. Similarly, the word "warm" is not a tangible entity, yet it has been widely adopted as a term to describe the desired sound quality in audio engineering many people may reach a general consensus.

T

Tamuramaro

A baked-in stereo widener that the end-user isn't aware of or a hidden 0.5 dB boost on the output gain even when the plugin is not doing anything i.e. when all settings are set flat. This ain't even a conspiracy theory. I firmly believe this is what some plugins be doing for real.