Reddit new API changes may force Apollo and third party clients to shutdown
Tafadzwa Twabam

Reddit new API changes may force Apollo and third party clients to shutdown

After Twitter shut down third-party apps earlier this year, it seems that Reddit is poised to eliminate or significantly diminish the usage of popular third-party clients with its updated API pricing changes to access the site via non-official mobile applications.
Q
He (i.e., Christian Selig) is charging for his app that relies on another company's services to run. Up until now, they've paid nothing to use another company's servers to drive their product.

C
And this is why you don't work for corporations for free, folks. Reddit, Inc. wants to push ads and drive users to log in even to read comment threads, so they’re going to charge prohibitively high prices for 3rd-party apps to make their 1st-party app the only option ultimately.

N
Twitter implements a pay model for blue check - news outraged. Competitors follow.

Twitter implements API fees - News outraged. Competitors follow.

Twitter usage increases - news outraged. Competitors announce the copycat platform.

Maybe they can copy the free speech and community notes aspect.

L
Twitter implements a pay model for blue check - news outraged. Competitors follow.

Twitter implements API fees - News outraged. Competitors follow.

Twitter usage increases - news outraged. Competitors announce the copycat platform.

Maybe they can copy the free speech and community notes aspect.

Ah yes, the "free speech" where they block tweets from the opposition in Turkey and India? Where everyone who is not a Twitter Blue customer effectively is shadow-banned? I think you need to check out what Twitter actually does instead of what Elon Reeve Musk tells you it does.

J
Funny how when the business is developing they're all friendly then when its fully developed they can't wait to cut you off.

F
I was reading Reddit only through Apollo. If they nuke it then I will quit the platform altogether because it was the only tool that made it easy for me to be there.

M
Sounds like a silly decision, this is going to just lead to clever browser add-ons in the long run though.

P
Say goodbye to:
  • BaconReader
  • Boost
  • Infinity
  • ReddPlanet
  • Relay
  • RIF (Reddit Is Fun)
The end is near.

Media information

Category
Jinaral miidia