Is creating a YouTube channel like Paguhwa or Kupaidea worth it?

B

Baba VeMakuhwa

How worthwhile is it to create a YouTube channel like Paguhwa or Kupaidea?

I'd like it if y'all take time to hexpagorate like I'm five in terms of pros and cons.

I am all ears.

recommended
You'll eventually run into copyright issues down the line because the content belongs to the person who owns it unless they are okay with it or if they transfer their exclusive rights to you (which is less likely to happen anyway).

For example, when Zim socialites post their content on social media technically it's their IP ("intellectual property") assuming it's all original work. And yasss, even those live videos that they do belong to them as long as there isn't interpolated 3rd party material e.g., music/soundtracks playing in the background, or any visuals that belong to other entities.

So getting back to your question, I have browsed through KUPAIDEA YOUTUBE and Paguhwa Dot Com, and literarily over 90% of their...

Shamiso

initiate
You'll eventually run into copyright issues down the line because the content belongs to the person who owns it unless they are okay with it or if they transfer their exclusive rights to you (which is less likely to happen anyway).

For example, when Zim socialites post their content on social media technically it's their IP ("intellectual property") assuming it's all original work. And yasss, even those live videos that they do belong to them as long as there isn't interpolated 3rd party material e.g., music/soundtracks playing in the background, or any visuals that belong to other entities.

So getting back to your question, I have browsed through KUPAIDEA YOUTUBE and Paguhwa Dot Com, and literarily over 90% of their content is from various Zim internet personalities' Facebook and Instagram live videos.

Nonetheless, it's somehow monetized on YouTube because for now, YT doesn't seem to mind users uploading other people's live videos and adding little to no commentary to it as long as you meet their monetization requirements. Otherwise, such channels would have already been kicked out of the YouTube Partnership Program.

And I am sure you can see where this is going. It's only a matter of time before some of these Zim celebrities start saving their own social media live videos, editing them with commentary on top, and uploading them to their official YT channels. Consequently, they will give both KUPAIDEA YOUTUBE and Paguhwa Dot Com two simple and straightforward options:
  1. to stop screen recording and take down content on YouTube that isn't theirs.
  2. or receive copyright strikes on their channels should they refuse to comply.

Why?​

Well, because they'd want people to watch their videos on their own official channels so that they get paid themselves. Think of this in terms of music publishing royalties and you will understand where I am coming from. After all, it's just business there's nothing personal. That's why these types of YT channels aren't sustainable in the long run. It's not something you'd want to invest all your time and effort into. If it was really a good business idea — Zimcelebs, Mafaro and etc. would have been early adopters of the game making gains already.

P.S. When I say "Mafaro", I mean Mafaro's website linked to Newsdzezimbabwe and not @Munyaradzi Mafaro.

recommended

Nehanda

@Shamiso e dey premium ignorance my sista!

And yeah, when most Zimbos start to really understand how you can make money on YouTube — it's game over for either Kupaidea or Paguhwa Xtra. Always remember on YouTube competition is a sin — wait until the OCs start complaining they are getting ripped off.

@Shamiso it's a good thing you cleared that up. I mean the postscript part.

@Nehanda I know what you mean by "OCs" but that can be misconstrued to mean... ayy, never mind. I have always had no desire to beat the drums that lead to drama. I'll be stuck in the doldrums, wouldn't I? In the meantime lemme make haste slowly: life's short for anything else as far as I can tell. It's all love still. :love:

Numero Uno

grand master
Business-minded people treat YouTube like long-term investing that's how you make a career out of it. Also, notice how YouTube over the years has been going more and more corporate e.g., the dislike button is gone now. And all that "fair Use" excuse won't save you from copyright claims or copyright strikes.

Honestly, I agree with most of the points raised by @Shamiso. And oh boy, if these guys were smart they should by now start to put more time and effort into something different. The copyright clock is ticking, and closer and closer it approaches the point of setting off the alarm: that gig isn't forever; notwithstanding, I see why they continue to do what they are doing because they've already built an audience.

What else can you do when your audience is expecting to see the latest drama about Felistas Murata and Tinashe Maphosa or the drama between Rutendo Samas and Evidence Chihera? Therefore, changing the main content of the channel is somewhat suicidal. You've got to give the mob what they want or you've got to ride the trend whilst it lasts, I suppose.

B

Baba VeMakuhwa

Oh, I forgot to also ask, and how do they record those social media videos?

I have tried many apps and they don't seem to record audio. Everything is muted.

Oh, I forgot to also ask, and how do they record those social media videos?

I have tried many apps and they don't seem to record audio. Everything is muted.

You should really take into consideration what @Shamiso and @Numero Uno advised you. I mean seriously think about it and just like what @Nehanda also said i.e., when many popular Zimbos on sosho media wake up and figure out that they can monetize their own content and send copyright claims to all YouTube channels reposting their stuff that will be the end of it.

For instance, if felebrity does a video and decides that she wants to upload it on YouTube while you also use the same content as hers, how can you prove and dispute a Content ID claim she has against you when it's clear as night and day you are leeching off her work?

You won't win that one! But hey, maybe you know better; however, the best way to screen capture IG or FB as far as I know is by using an Android emulator and running OBS Studio. Some folks use Samsung's screen recorder and it works just fine.

What about starting a blog like iHarare or Newsdzezimbabwe?

That's much better, and if memory serves me well iHarare runs on WordPress whilst Newsdzezimbabwe runs on Google's Blogspot and if I am not mistaken the latters url it should be http://mrmafaro.blogspot.com/. BTW, the small advantage of Blogger is you don't have to pay for hosting. You only have to renew your domain registration if you want to use a custom domain just like on Tumblr. There's also Drupal CMS but you'd be better off starting with WordPress. It will give you fewer headaches.

F

Fidza

Amazon Web Services for hosting plus Google Cloud Platform for caching.

How expensive is it? And how easy is it to move a website?

I am sorry if this is a noob question. I have never done it myself.

I have only used a single host without moving to another.

DGM

Administrator
Staff member
How expensive is it?

1: It depends on your monthly usage. If you are hosting on AWS Lightsail it's fixed, it's predictable and absolutely noob friendly.

2: Migrating a website is only less challenging if the site in question doesn't require a lot of setups that need to be done. Look, I don't want to get too technical. But basically, for most small websites, it's a matter of downloading your databases and all your files. Next up you spin up a new Lightsail VPS instance (or an EC2 instance), and upload your stuff. Boom, you are done and back online again. Obviously, you have to edit your DNS records on Amazon's Route 53 or Cloudflare if you are using it, and the rest of all that other boring stuff e.g., creating a CloudFront distribution and etc.

E

Elephantisha

Didn't Stewart Nyamayaro get his other YouTube channel de-platformed for doing what these guys are doing?

What about Percy Dancehall Music Distribution?

Shamiso

initiate
Didn't Stewart Nyamayaro get his other YouTube channel de-platformed for doing what these guys are doing?

Yep, Stewart Nyamayaro uploaded content belonging to Sylvester Tapfumaneyi (Sly Media TV), and not only that, his other YT content was highly questionable. There are certain things you can frankly tell kuti apa ka hapana kwatiri kuenda. Anyway, mark my words both Kupaidea and Paguhwa if they don't shape up are next on the chopping block because people who create stuff need to eat too if you know what I mean.

As for the likes of Percy Dancehall Music Distribution, all I can say is that I am up to the game — SoundCloud had its own monetization program called "Premier" which is now called "Next Plus". Perhaps PDMD was only — or still is — promoting Zimdancehall music with permission from the artists themselves; there is no need to rush to conclusions. But umm, I tell you what fam, If I were a Zimdancehall or a Zim hip-hop recording artist I'd handle my own biz with an iron fist.

J

Jamari

You can't just put up long-form video content from another platform on your YT channel, but you can initially add commentary whilst showing short segments of it so that you get into the YPP. From there you may get away with absolutely no commentary at all i.e. the stage where these channels you have mentioned are at this point.

Another thing worth mentioning is that some publishers will copyright claim you regardless of what you do in the video if they don't grant you permission to do so.

M

Magi

The thing about intellectual property is that it varies greatly on who owns it and how aggressive they are at enforcing it.

@Nehanda I concur, most Zimbos are complacent when it comes to IP, and possibly it's the spirit of poverty. What else could be the reason? Mamhepo to say the least. Just don't quote me on that, abeg ooo.

Latest resources