Sampling rates and Image-Line's FL Studio DAW

recommended
A sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz is fine for all purposes because you can run multiple instances of 3rd party VST plug-ins with relative ease i.e., depending on how fast your computer is and which VST instruments or plug-ins effects you are using—don't forget oversampling too, whether you have it enabled on some plug-ins or not.

However, if you have enough processing power, run all FL Studio's projects at a 96 kHz sampling rate—your plug-ins will thank you for blessing them abundantly. On the other hand, 192,000 samples per second will make many VST plug-ins transform into little demonic goblins in pretty much all DAWs.

Thus, 192 kHz sampling frequency it's a non-starter unless you are making one of those...

Sadzandiuraye

initiate
96,000 samples per second that's the only true religion, anything else is completely wrong. It's pure heresy not to use 96,000 Hz if you ask me—don't be tempted into bad religions.

Attachments

• Image-Line FL Studio DAW - 96 000 Hz Sample Rate.png
    Image-Line FL Studio DAW - 96 000 Hz Sample Rate.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 242

Queen

grand master
A sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz is fine for all purposes because you can run multiple instances of 3rd party VST plug-ins with relative ease i.e., depending on how fast your computer is and which VST instruments or plug-ins effects you are using—don't forget oversampling too, whether you have it enabled on some plug-ins or not.

However, if you have enough processing power, run all FL Studio's projects at a 96 kHz sampling rate—your plug-ins will thank you for blessing them abundantly. On the other hand, 192,000 samples per second will make many VST plug-ins transform into little demonic goblins in pretty much all DAWs.

Thus, 192 kHz sampling frequency it's a non-starter unless you are making one of those chopped-and-screwed records, then you don't have an option but to use high sampling rates otherwise you end up with garbage when you slow down stuff as much as other sound designers do as well.

recommended

Scorpio

grand master
Higher sampling rates do mean lower latency but at the cost of increased CPU usage.

Higher sampling rates mean fewer digital audio effects and that's a trade-off most people don't like even though higher sampling rates can actually improve the sound quality of some digital audio effects i.e., the issue of audio aliasing.

Higher sampling rates are good for aggressively stretching audio and the use of pitch shifters like what @Queen said.

Tanonoka

initiate
What about when you want to convert to 44.1 kHz?

You only downsample once with iZotope RX Resample (i.e., the sample rate conversion module) or Voxengo r8brain PRO after you are done with audio mastering, and don't forget to properly dither your FLAC or WAV files too.

It's very important to dither your music or whatever audio material you are working on especially when going down to 16-bit audio (aka CD quality), but it's not necessary for 24-bit audio or 32-bit audio.

Attachments

• iZotope, Inc. RX (Resample Module).png
    iZotope, Inc. RX (Resample Module).png
    256.9 KB · Views: 184

Sadzandiuraye

initiate
@Tanonoka but why use iZotope's RX and not just do it in FL Studio DAW?

Because some things are better at certain tasks than others.

In iZotope's RX you do all the SRC (sample rate conversion), MBIT+™ Dithering to 16-bit then finally press CTRL+E ( to export) on your keyboard and get it done. It doesn't take 2 mins unless you are getting started with iZotope's RX. You can also do Batch Processing if you want e.g., for an EP or an LP album.

A disadvantage to using a sampling rate of 96 kHz is that not all VST plug-ins work properly. Certain plug-ins especially those with old code, but with a new updated modern GUI can only work up to 48 kHz without issues.

Tanonoka

initiate
I mean when going from 96 kHz to 44.1 kHz using iZotope RX Resample.

Just so you know, there is no best setting for iZotope's RX Resample because of subjective tastes.

Some people don't like linear phase so what they do is set iZotope RX Resample's pre-ringing to 0 (minimum-phase filter), some folks like mixed-phase and that's anywhere in between 0 and 1. Ah well, it's different strokes for different folks really. But I'd recommend the following when doing SRC from 96,000 to 44,100 sampling frequency.
RX Resample "parameter"​
RX Resample "value"​
New sampling rate44,100
Change tag onlyoff
Filter steepness32 or 38
Cutoff shift94 or 93
Pre-ringing1 (i.e., linear-phase filter) or 0 (i.e., minimum-phase filter)

Sometimes you have to enable the "Post-limiter" to get rid of extra inter-sample peaks especially when you opt to use 0 (i.e., minimum-phase filter) as your pre-ringing setting. Nevertheless, it's all a matter of taste.

Borrowdale Barron

grand master
People at iZotope, Inc. need to standardize their products. For instance, if you are using Ozone Equalizer in Digital Mode, you have to open the Advanced Head-up Display and move the phase response slider to the right if you want to use the minimum-phase setting rather than linear-phase or mixed-phase. Now, in RX Post Production Suite you quite frankly need to do the opposite by moving it to the left... make it make sense.

B

Brother Enoch

I've come to the conclusion that the sample rate does not matter. A good mix sounds great at 16bit/44.1khz while 96khz won't save a bad mix.