What is the best "Q" Setting for audio mastering?

T

Trythanks Lightfoot

Perhaps my question is kinda broad but in most given situations what would y'all recommend as an ideal quality factor (or bandwidth) for audio mastering?

recommended
Every song is different and for this reason, there can never be a Q setting that is going to work on all mixes.

Some mixes are dull; some mixes are bright and some mixes don't need a whole lotta fixing because they sound good already except maybe in terms of commercial loudness which of course can easily be achieved these days by anyone who knows what they are doing.

After all brickwall limiting is not rocket science—it doesn't take too long to learn compared to equalization which is extremely challenging because:
  • It costs money to set up your own good listening environment (i.e. room treatment)
  • It costs money to purchase a decent pair of studio monitors.
  • It takes so much time and dedication to come up with your own...
A

AwardReady

@Mpumelelo von Mumhanzi I recently watched this Hot Trax Production Magazine video on YouTube where Chris Athens was talking about using a narrow bandwidth at around 100 Hz and a medium bandwidth at 8 kHz.

What would you say corresponds to a narrow or medium Q i.e., when using a VST plugin. By the way what equalizer was Chris Athens using?

This:
Hardware Sontec Q 6 = 1 (on most digital EQ plugins)
Hardware Sontec Q 9 = 2 (on most digital EQ plugins)

For FabFilter EQ that will be Q 1.5 and Q 2.5 respectively.