Affordable master clock for DAW

D

Designer Brain

To improve the clock stability and audio quality in my DAW, I'm looking to buy an external master clock. Currently, my RME Fireface 800 acts as the master clock. Any advice on affordable options that offer a noticeable improvement without breaking the bank?

recommended
B
I've conducted extensive testing and currently run a UAD Apollo, Antelope Audio, and Apogee Symphony MKII all at once. Honestly, using three devices simultaneously only becomes a challenge if I'm tracking a LOT of channels at the same time. This setup also includes a Behringer ADA 8200 connected via ADAT.

In the past, I used a master clock with a Lynx system and Big Ben, but eventually realized it was overkill. Clocking technology these days is fantastic compared to the 2000s. The internal clock on your main device is usually more than enough, and in most situations, it's actually better to use internal clocking.

However, Antelope excels in clock technology (though other aspects of their products might not be as impressive). They...
C

Champagne Coffee

If you need to clock a single device, don't waste money on an external clock. It can do more harm than good in a setup like yours, and RME's clocks are among the best on the market right now. So you already have a very good clock in your interface, getting an external one will definitely not give you a "noticeable improvement".

B

BlockWinter

I've conducted extensive testing and currently run a UAD Apollo, Antelope Audio, and Apogee Symphony MKII all at once. Honestly, using three devices simultaneously only becomes a challenge if I'm tracking a LOT of channels at the same time. This setup also includes a Behringer ADA 8200 connected via ADAT.

In the past, I used a master clock with a Lynx system and Big Ben, but eventually realized it was overkill. Clocking technology these days is fantastic compared to the 2000s. The internal clock on your main device is usually more than enough, and in most situations, it's actually better to use internal clocking.

However, Antelope excels in clock technology (though other aspects of their products might not be as impressive). They utilize a "oven" technology that controls the crystal temperature, a key factor in preventing clock drift. RME makes outstanding products, so don't fix a problem that doesn't exist.

recommended
F

Flexatron Primus

You only really need a master clock if you're syncing a bunch of other devices, like maybe two extra RMEs on top of your main one. Even then, the internal clock on your main RME is probably fantastic. But, if you're still on the fence about a clock, check out BlackLion Audio. Their stuff is relatively affordable.