question How Do You Make An 808 Drum Sample Sit Well In A Mix

Black Panther

grand master
Mixing 808s kick samples is all about practice and even more practice.

Basically, you might have to reference commercial music releases that have heavy 808 kick drums as basslines.

From there you tweak your 808 kicks to fit the context of the music you are actually mixing while at the same time making them knock harder than the reference track you have been listening to.

But be careful not to overdo it in terms of loudness.

Numero Uno

grand master
Mixing 808s kick samples is all about practice and even more practice.

Basically you have to reference commercial music releases that have heavy 808 kick drums as basslines.

From there you tweak your 808 kicks to fit the context of the music you are actually mixing while at the same time making them knock harder than the reference track you have been listening to.

But be careful not to overdo it in terms of loudness.

What about EQ'ing 808s, what's the sweet spot for getting that nice beefy bass 808 sound?

Black Panther

grand master
What about EQ'ing 808s, what's the sweet spot for getting that nice beefy bass 808 sound?

Mixing is an art, not a science so the best approach to go around EQ'ing 808 drum samples is to use your eyes.

However, the guideline you could follow to get that beefy sound is to boost with a bell EQ curve at around 80 Hz or even 100 Hz depending on the song of course. Alternatively, you could try somewhere around 50 Hz if you like.

Numero Uno

grand master
Mixing is an art, not a science so the best way to go around EQ'ing 808 drum samples is to use your eyes.

However, the guideline you could follow to get that beefy sound is to boost with a bell EQ at around 80 Hz or even 100 Hz depending on the song of course. Better yet you could try somewhere around 50 Hz if you like.

I will definitely try to put that into practice when mixing 808s.

Black Panther

grand master
Okay, let's just say the 808 bassline is playing at the same time as the synth bass how would I approach that mixing session?

In that situation, it will be in your best interest to roll the synth bass frequencies that you don't want to collide with the 808 kick drum samples.

Black Panther

grand master
Laik hau?

It means you should decide whether you want your 808 kick drum sample to occupy the deep low-end spectrum (i.e. 31.5 Hz to 80 Hz vs 80 Hz to 160 Hz) or your synth bass it's that simple oan.

In most cases, some mixing engineers will choose the 808 bass to occupy the deep low-end spectrum - just saying!

Numero Uno

grand master
It means you should decide whether you want your 808 kick drum sample to occupy the deep low-end spectrum (i.e. 31.5 Hz to 80 Hz vs 80 Hz to 160 Hz) or your synth bass it's that simple oan.

In most cases, some mixing engineers will choose the 808 bass to occupy the deep low-end spectrum - just saying!
Alright fine, what I should put in my low-end spectrum to fit the general conventions?

Black Panther

grand master
Alright fine what I should put in my low end spectrum to fit the general conventions?

Look if you are going to follow the general conventions it will be in your best interests to put your 808 bass as your main bassline rather than choosing your synth bass.

At the end of the day, that strictly depends on whether your 808 bass plays more than your synth bass.

In layman terms, if your 808 has more parts than your synth bass then it would make more sense to mix it towards fitting in your deep low-end than your synth bass and vice versa.