general Spotify's Hate Content And Hateful Conduct Public Policy (Discussion)

Numero Uno

grand master
The online music streaming platform Spotify has rolled out a new initiative which they call, "Hate Content and Hateful Conduct Public Policy" which aims to police the catalog of controversial artists on the grounds that their actions in their private lives and music content must abide with accepted moral standards of Spotify's Official Playlists.

In simple English Spotify have instructed their engineers to tweak their recommendation algorithms in such a way that music from artists who have a repugnant public image of being terrible people due to their behavior or crimes e.g. rape, sexual misconduct, xenophobia, racism, antisemitism, anti-feminism, homophobia, pedophilia, necrophilia, etc will NOT show up in Spotify's Promotional Playlists.

Perhaps this will encourage many artists to have high moral standards so that in future when they release music they will not be caught on the wrong side of Spotify's Hate Content & Hate Conduct.

Borrowdale Barron

grand master
Spotify's Hate Content and Hate Conduct Policy are self-contradictory if you actually read it in detail.

spotify-hate-content-and-hateful-conduct.png

The main issue with this Spotify's Hate Content and Hate Conduct Policy is that it fails to address the problem that most of mainstream Hip Hop songs perpetuate.

e.g Black on Black violence, breaking the law by selling illegal drugs, misogynists lyrics were women are portrayed as being b-tches, wh-res and sl-ts yet in the actual fact Spotify has a Playlist called "Rap Caviar" which apparently promotes music which contains those same lyrical content which Spotify finds offensive on its online music streaming platform? Who are they fooling here, smh?

Furthermore, Spotify says hate content consists of music which promotes hatred towards a group or individual based on religion... now, wait, what religion...?

Does that mean they are going to take down music from those death metal bands which incites hatred towards Christians who find death metal music as blasphemous?

Black Panther

grand master
From the way, I see it Spotify's Hate Content and Hate Conduct Policy will only target artists, who generate a huge public outcry.

But those artists that have abused women or men and still didn't receive a huge public outcry from the masses will somehow make it on Spotify's Official Playlists.

For instance, consider an artist like John Lennon he used to abuse Yoko Ono but the question is will Spotify pull Jon Lennon's music and The Beatles music from its playlists?... Well, probably not.
  • What about Chris Brown for being violent towards Rihanna?
  • Kanye West for saying slavery was a choice?
  • Ted Nugent for saying "If Barack Obama is elected, I'll either be dead or in jail this time next year,"?
  • Sid Vicious and the list goes on and on...

Lenard

Lenard Maseko
From the way, I see it Spotify's Hate Content and Hate Conduct Policy will only target artists, who generate a huge public outcry.

But those artists that have abused women or men and still didn't receive a huge public outcry from the masses will somehow make it on Spotify's Official Playlists.

For instance, consider an artist like John Lennon he used to abuse Yoko Ono but the question is will Spotify pull Jon Lennon's music and The Beatles music from its playlists?... Well, probably not.
  • Ted Nugent for saying "If Barack Obama is elected, I'll either be dead or in jail this time next year,"?

Well, Prince met his wife when she was 16 years old and that's under-aged too. So is Spotify going to take a look into that since they now want to only promote artists of superior morals?

Black Panther

grand master
Well, Prince met his wife when she was 16 years old and that's under-aged too. So is Spotify going to take a look into that since they now want to only promote artists of superior morals?

Look, Spotify is only targeting artists that are hated by the public and the mainstream media. They will overlook some artists though.

Borrowdale Barron

grand master

All of those men’s actions ruined tarnished their legacies in my opinion.

Especially Kanye West, his rants and comments have always gotten him into trouble.

Black Panther

grand master
All of those men’s actions ruined tarnished their legacies in my opinion.

Especially Kanye West, his rants and comments have always gotten him into trouble.

I guess Spotify wants to be arbiters of what music they think is okay. However, in business, if you wish to carry on like this another company will capitalize and replace where you have failed.

Borrowdale Barron

grand master
I guess Spotify wants to be arbiters of what music they think is okay. However, in business, if you wish to carry on like this another company will capitalize and replace where you have failed.

If they keep talking music out of people that have been accused or convicted of anything they are not going to have any music to play.

Black Panther

grand master
If they keep talking music out of people that have been accused or convicted of anything they are not going to have any music to play.

Spotify should just let the people decide what they want to listen to without manipulating search algorithms or recommendation algorithms.

Censorship is for children. There is no one artist who is popular and doesn't have a skeleton in their closet, to be honest.