Does a 360 deal mean a record company is entitled to publishing income?

T

Tsungai

In the recording industry does a 360 deal mean an artist has to give some of their income to a record label from their streams on Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube Music, and the rest of all the other platforms?

recommended
Yes, that's what normally happens but anything in showbiz (i.e., the music business in this case) can be negotiated—not every recording contract is the same. Some artists may only have to share revenue from other sources such as touring, club appearances, and merchandise. This means all income from music publishing royalties remains theirs. And as I said before everything is negotiable and that's that.
Yes, that's what normally happens but anything in showbiz (i.e., the music business in this case) can be negotiated—not every recording contract is the same. Some artists may only have to share revenue from other sources such as touring, club appearances, and merchandise. This means all income from music publishing royalties remains theirs. And as I said before everything is negotiable and that's that.

recommended
@Munyaradzi Mafaro to me 360 record contracts sound like pure greed.

For an artist to be big initially it's a record company that puts them on the map with their own money. Therefore for every single artist that you sign if you own a music company you are definitely taking on a huge risk. You have got to make that money back somehow otherwise you will end up being bankrupt. With that said, a 360 deal is perhaps what makes sense in today's market.