Instant online audio mastering services do they deserve album credits?

T

Trythanks Lightfoot

With the presence of instant online audio mastering services and the soon to be widely prevalent online mixing services in the future, suppose an album wins an award e.g. the Grammy Award for Best Engineered Album is it okay for that particular audio engineering credit to go to say, for example, iZotope, LANDR, Aria, eMastered, CloudBounce, Bandlab, Soundcloud Mastering, etc or perhaps it should ONLY be reserved for humans?

recommended
One thing for certain is plenty of musicians are greedy, selfish, and narcissistic.

Look at how many artists are notorious for simply changing a word to get a third.

Now here we are talmbout something like "LANDR", "Grammys", and "album credits" in the same sentence... that's funny. ?

Well, I don't think any musician/band that's gonna use LANDR will give them any credit for having mastered their song or album UNLESS if they are part of that whole LANDR Affiliate Program perhaps they will, however, only for the sole purpose of making a few extra coins.

Queen

grand master
I am kinda lost? Why should iZotope, Inc. as a company be entitled to music credits just because you used their Ozone Master Assistant or Neutron Mix Assistant in your entire project?

@Queen about iZotope, Inc. being mentioned here I agree with you. It doesn't make sense.

However, the rest of the question is simple and straightforward in the context that in years to come there is obviously a reasonable possibility that autonomous audio mixing software will quite frankly reach a point where it will literarily replace so many sound engineers—the same way automated audio mastering is gaining momentum as we speak even though some people have a tendency to underestimate the pace of technological change which is always a stupid thing to do until eventually, reality hits them in the face.

Hence, the hypothetical question: if an album is completely mixed by an AI sound engineering cloud platform and consequently gets mastered by an AI automated online mastering service shouldn't that engineering award go to these services or the owner's behind whatever cloud platform that was utilized just like how both mixing and mastering engineers receive an award when a project they worked on is selected as a winner for whatever music award in question?

Tanonoka

initiate
One thing for certain is plenty of musicians are greedy, selfish, and narcissistic.

Look at how many artists are notorious for simply changing a word to get a third.

Now here we are talmbout something like "LANDR", "Grammys", and "album credits" in the same sentence... that's funny. ?

Well, I don't think any musician/band that's gonna use LANDR will give them any credit for having mastered their song or album UNLESS if they are part of that whole LANDR Affiliate Program perhaps they will, however, only for the sole purpose of making a few extra coins.

recommended

Borrowdale Barron

grand master
Even if AI songwriting/production/mixing/mastering services become so good to slow down business for songwriters/composers/producers/sound engineers, the chances of the Recording Academy giving an award to a company that apparently owns that service (s) is slim because the bulk of the awards will just be handed over to a few companies year after year since most careers in the music industry will be made obsolete anyway.

Is that good for ratings? Nah, probably not.

What will happen is, there plausibly will be different categories for robot jingles and man-made songs.

Scorpio

grand master
Personally, I am in support and can understand why an AI online audio mastering service like LANDR can be eligible for audio mastering credits on a single, extended-play, or long-play music project.

I just don't agree with the context of iZotope, Inc. Ozone Master Assistant because it can be relentlessly tweaked. That means the person who is doing the tweaking is actually mastering with the help of suggestions provided by Ozone, and what I have said is also a similar case in the context of audio mixing with iZotope's Neutron Mix Assistant.

P.S. next time y'all should not mention Ozone alongside other online-based audio mastering services because iZotope, Inc. does not yet provide cloud-based services like LANDR albeit I can see that happening several years from now.

Scorpio

grand master
@Scorpio but how many both amateur and professional recording artists/bands will willingly give sound engineering credits to LANDR instead of what @Tanonoka said about them boasting and bragging that they did everything from start to finish?

I am not in dispute with the fact that only a few musicians will do that.

I am just saying services like LANDR, Aria, etc qualify to be credited just a much as human mastering engineers.

Nehanda

As instant online mastering services become increasingly popular, the price of audio mastering will continue to decline. And this growth of AI services will negatively impact human mastering engineers as they compete with companies that operate pretty much 24 hours a day (non-stop) with extremely fast turnaround times, which ultimately customers may expect and demand as a standard of operation for all audio mastering businesses.

Thus, the notion of instant online mastering services receiving album credits on music projects is literally free PR (i.e. favorable media coverage) at the great expense of human mastering engineers who would otherwise have had the same opportunity to be promoted so that they can remain in business without eventually being driven out of the industry by tech companies masquerading as though they are passionate about art.

In summary, it's a classic case of man vs. machine. Hopefully, artists and record producers who promote these instant online mastering services should know very well they too are next on the chopping block after sound engineers are thoroughly dealt with!

Queen

grand master
@Nehanda between the quality provided by AI audio mastering platforms and free advertisement they'd get from folks who decide to credit them on their albums what do you think has a more negative impact on traditional audio mastering?

Nehanda

@Nehanda between the quality provided by AI audio mastering platforms and free advertisement they'd get from folks who decide to credit them on their albums what do you think has a more negative impact on traditional audio mastering?

Don't put too much emphasis on quality for now. It doesn't matter if the results are mediocre as long as the material is listenable. The main primary focus of these services is driving traffic and building a strong resilient online presence.

Therefore, the more attention companies like LANDR get, the more human mastering engineers will gradually lose their market share in the music industry. From there sound quality will, later on, become a priority in order to then lure major record label artists since the sinful competition of human mastering engineers would have been eradicated except only a few stubborn professionals left in the game.

Bombastus

@Queen @Nehanda basically y'all saying ALL musicians shouldn't credit LANDR but it's okay to use their services?

@Bla Jedza one can credit LANDR, Soundcloud Mastering, etc. however they like.

@Nehanda is just highlighting that traditional audio mastering as a career will be on the decline with more publicity generated around these AI audio mastering companies because they are obviously a significant threat even though some people try to clown them as if they aren't a big deal capable of disrupting the music business forever.

Nehanda

@Queen @Nehanda basically y'all saying ALL musicians shouldn't credit LANDR but it's okay to use their services?

For the nth time, I will reiterate what I said: artificial intelligence (AI) is clearly not sustainable for careers within the music industry because AI technology will not stop replacing ALL jobs that involve music. People with common sense should realize this before letting AI and robots dominate the music business.

Even software developers who make VST, AU, AAX, Rack Extensions, etc will run out of business because who will be buying pro audio digital plug-ins when the show is run by a few companies like LANDR, CloudBounce, Aria, etc.

P.S. if all songwriters, musicians, sound engineers, and plug-in developers are cool with the McDonaldization of the entire music industry then of course that's fine already. Let it be that way.