What do you all think about the future of music and Gen AI?

T

The0ne

What are your thoughts on the future of music and generative artificial intelligence? It's concerning that gen AI could potentially replace certain aspects of music production. We already see this with Apple Logic Pro's AI Mastering Assistant plugin. However, perhaps we can learn to work with generative AI instead of against it.

P

Pyry Niskanen

Sure, it will replace all human-made music on the internet. Human-made music will be priced out of the market by market disruption strategies. Then, once humans can no longer compete, it will raise prices with its stranglehold monopoly. But human music will remain on the fringes, making vinyl records on single-press machines, like marginalized and primitive people. We will sing along to the songs of the old times, which we will all admit the artificial intelligence version is better.

M

Matthias Kehrer

Sure, it will replace all human-made music on the internet. Human-made music will be priced out of the market by market disruption strategies. Then, once humans can no longer compete, it will raise prices with its stranglehold monopoly. But human music will remain on the fringes, making vinyl records on single-press machines, like marginalized and primitive people. We will sing along to the songs of the old times, which we will all admit the artificial intelligence version is better.

Humans can always improve upon what AI creates.

Y

Yuna

Really? Are we seeing it in Logic's mastering effect? It isn't excellent. Terrible. Garbage. I am a little worried about it, but at most, AI will only be able to handle the generic stuff, like the most basic beats. You need real human creativity to make something unique and interesting to listen to. People who rely solely on AI for their music won't have a career. The same goes for those who refuse to use AI altogether. Those who use it tastefully or bring back deceased artists for one more album, for example, can help revive music we thought was lost. Any of these "music generators" are either ripping off existing songs or using the most basic building blocks of music that it doesn’t matter if it's released.

P

PinkFrosting

Really? Are we seeing it in Logic's mastering effect? It isn't excellent. Terrible. Garbage. I am a little worried about it, but at most, AI will only be able to handle the generic stuff, like the most basic beats. You need real human creativity to make something unique and interesting to listen to. People who rely solely on AI for their music won't have a career. The same goes for those who refuse to use AI altogether. Those who use it tastefully or bring back deceased artists for one more album, for example, can help revive music we thought was lost. Any of these "music generators" are either ripping off existing songs or using the most basic building blocks of music that it doesn’t matter if it's released.

I agree the Apple Logic Pro's AI Mastering Assistant plugin is terrible.

S

Summer Sweetie

Just create music. It doesn't matter how it's done, just put it out there. The world is going to need it, no matter who or what is making it.

A

Amulet

Some people believe that those who do not learn or use AI will face challenges in the future. However, as long as you have skills and can create music, there should not be any issues. While production companies and recording artists may increasingly rely on AI, there will always be opportunities to create music independently and generate income. If you are not willing to get in front of an audience or network then sure, artificial intelligence (AI) eventually will take you out.

S

Supreme Reign

What's scary is that everyone assumes what AI can and can't do, and everyone is SO misinformed. AI (current AI) can look back at everything that has ever been created or published and easily generate music and lyrics as good as anything you or I will ever create. It can analyze and distill the greatest hits in any genre, spitting out what everyone loves as popular music without a struggle. If you don't believe any of this, you're out of touch with the reality of current technology.

The mainstream will likely be overtaken by well-crafted AI songs, lyrics, and mixes that may be difficult to distinguish from human creations. I've read stories quickly created by OpenAI's ChatGPT chatbot that were simply requested with basic information. The resulting creations came across as heartfelt stories complete with historically accurate references and a surprising wit and creative flair. This is more than just scary; it could be career-ending and soul-crushing.

If a computer can mimic human emotions like deep sorrow and joyful elation, it's sad to think about what the music industry, currently led by profit-driven executives, will become in the future. Streaming has already significantly impacted the industry. AI could potentially put the final nail in the coffin, disguising the industry's decline as a natural death while churning out hit after hit.

E

Edward Ludlam

Generative AI could never fully replace the human feel of music. Real musicians play with a certain emotion and nuance that AI would struggle to replicate. The human touch is an essential aspect of music that cannot be replaced by a computer or robot.

A

Arttu Joronen

Generative AI could never fully replace the human feel of music. Real musicians play with a certain emotion and nuance that AI would struggle to replicate. The human touch is an essential aspect of music that cannot be replaced by a computer or robot.

It can replicate the styles of the greatest musicians without requiring years of practice, freedom, or suffering from the soul-crushing oppression of the music industry. This can be done 24/7 without the need for sleep, food, or drugs.

S

Soul Sun Love

When I asked about AI music, the responses I received were often negative, with people claiming that it was not good. However, we are still in the early stages of AI development and technology evolves rapidly. Therefore, we should not dismiss the possibility of AI music becoming a dominant force in the industry. In just a few years, AI music may surpass human music. While I hope this is not the case, it is worth considering that AI has already made significant advancements in other creative fields e.g., digital art.

R

Rembrandt

AI could make EDM, trap, hip-hop, and other electronic genres obsolete in the future. Creating a decent song from MIDI shouldn't be difficult for AI. Currently, the quality of AI-generated music is surprisingly poor.

N

New Yolk Egg

One of the most impressive things about art, at least to me, is that it's made by someone. The human component is a direct part of its value.