recommended
J
Optics (or looks), a minimum amount of talent, social media, and whether the type of music a person is releasing can make the artist emerge in an already saturated music industry or if they can be corporately pimped into doing another genre of music than what they are doing right now i.e., the potential for proactive rebranding.
E

Emberlynn

A common thing for the artists and repertoire division these days is to take into consideration what a person is doing on the widely used socials. How often they post content, as well as their engagement with fans. The more dedicated their stans are the better. So a good investment should have a cult-like following. Later on, that crazy cultish fanbase can be sold merchandise and things of that nature.

J

Jonso

Optics (or looks), a minimum amount of talent, social media, and whether the type of music a person is releasing can make the artist emerge in an already saturated music industry or if they can be corporately pimped into doing another genre of music than what they are doing right now i.e., the potential for proactive rebranding.

recommended
O

Octopus boy

Knowing which demographics an artist appeals to helps the A&R people make informed decisions about who would be a suitable addition to their roster for maximum success.

A

Azizi

Optics (or looks) and a minimum amount of talent.

There can always be room for improvement with cosmetic surgery panel beating. Down the line, it gives audiences less reason to think about how much time has passed since they first heard about you!

J

Jonso

I am surprised no one here mentioned age.

I have already said that because optics are intertwined with age. The younger the musician, the hotter they look. The older they get the more they start to become less visually appealing. BTW, I am saying all of this because sex sells which also happens to be what keeps so many artists relevant to their target market.

P

Phillip

When you run a record label you don't want artists that have a habit of saying bad things about the establishment in the country you operate in. The spooks will pay you a visit. Yes, every country is different. We all know that.

S

Shiva

Not really. There are recording artists that have had DV cases but are still distributed by major record labels. This just goes to show you that they don't care unless there is a huge public outcry about it.

I kinda have a rough idea of which artists you are talmbout but most of those issues happened before what cancel culture is today. Times have changed.

O

Octopus boy

I have already said that because optics are intertwined with age. The younger the musician, the hotter they look. The older they get the more they start to become less visually appealing especially if they do heavy drugs. BTW, I am saying all of this because sex sells which also happens to be what keeps so many artists relevant to their target market.

Looks mostly apply to female artists. A male artist doesn't need to be handsome. They can also have their face covered in ugly tattoos and it won't be a big deal.

C

Comrade Chibage

Looks mostly apply to female artists. A male artist doesn't need to be handsome. They can also have their face covered in ugly tattoos and it won't be a big deal.

I don't quite agree with you on that.

For genres like metal and rap music yes.

For pop music, facial tattoos are a big deal.

Being a pretty boy is a big deal too in popular music.