general DJ Stavo Has Something To Say About The Zim Music Industry

Lenard

Lenard Maseko
DJ Stavo (Steven Sanders) shared his opinion about the Zim music industry by stating that what is actually made reference as being Zimbabwe's music industry is something which is absolutely non-existent given the fact that many of Zim artists can't sustain themselves without venturing into other fields so as to earn a living.

DJ Stavo on Zim Music Industry.png

Borrowdale Barron

grand master
DJ Stavo is entitled to his thoughts about the Zim music industry and I can understand his frustrations about what he may wish the Zim music industry to be.

The main thing hampering and affecting Zimbabwe's music is economic empowerment for artists to be entrepreneurs.

In some countries instead of artists relying on government handouts and governmental support they at least have financial support from the private sector to make their dreams come true in the music business. Zimbabwe's private sector is not really active in the music business.

However, notable people from the private sector who have been active in Zim music industry include people like Genius Kadungure who recently has shown support to Zimdancehall artists like Winky D and Killer T.

Lenard

Lenard Maseko
DJ Stavo is entitled to his thoughts about the Zim music industry and I can understand his frustrations about what he may wish the Zim music industry to be.

The main thing hampering and affecting Zimbabwe's music is economic empowerment for artists to be entrepreneurs.

In some countries instead of artists relying on government handouts and governmental support they at least have financial support from the private sector to make their dreams come true in the music business. Zimbabwe's private sector is not really active in the music business.

However, notable people from the private sector who have been active in Zim music industry include people like Genius Kadungure who recently has shown support to Zimdancehall artists like Winky D and Killer T.

I don't think you should consider people like Genius Kadungure as showing much support to the Zim music industry because last time Genius Kadungure brought Davido and Boity Thulo for his "Ginimbi All White Party" and the issue I see with that is people like Davido coming to Zimbabwe is basically an import of Nigerian Afrobeat into Zimbabwe.

Genius Kadungure is NOT helping Zimdancehall artists or Zim Hip Hop artists in the long run.

What Ginimbi is doing is just import other established African musicians and personalities rather helping local talent by exporting Zim music, Zim models and personalities to other parts of the world.

So again from an economic standpoint, Boity Thulo coming to Zimbabwe is nothing but the export of South African culture into the Zimbabwean market.

If South African brands like Boity Thulo continue to come to Zimbabwe this DOES NOT benefit Zimbabwean brands at all.

Borrowdale Barron

grand master
I don't think you should consider people like Genius Kadungure as showing much support to the Zim music industry because last time Genius Kadungure brought Davido and Boity Thulo for his "Ginimbi All White Party" and the issue I see with that is people like Davido coming to Zimbabwe is basically an import of Nigerian Afrobeat into Zimbabwe.

Genius Kadungure is NOT helping Zimdancehall artists or Zim Hip Hop artists in the long run.

What Ginimbi is doing is just import other established African musicians and personalities rather helping local talent by exporting Zim music, Zim models and personalities to other parts of the world.

So again from an economic standpoint, Boity Thulo coming to Zimbabwe is nothing but the export of South African culture into the Zimbabwean market.

If South African brands like Boity Thulo continue to come to Zimbabwe this DOES NOT benefit Zimbabwean brands at all.

You have made some valid points but I will disagree on the suggestions you have made about Boity Thulo being a threat to Zimbabwean media brands because I think you are giving Boity Thulo so much clout than she actually has.

People attended the last "Genius Kadungure's All White Party" not because Boity Thulo was coming to Zimbabwe but rather the fact of Davido performing was pretty much the main highlight and the selling point of all that stuff.

Lenard

Lenard Maseko
You have made some valid points but I will disagree on the suggestions you have made about Boity Thulo being a threat to Zimbabwean media brands because I think you are giving Boity Thulo so much clout than she actually has.

People attended the last "Genius Kadungure's All White Party" not because Boity Thulo was coming to Zimbabwe but rather the fact of Davido performing was pretty much the main highlight and the selling point of all that stuff.

That doesn't still erase the point I have made about the constant need of importing South African media brands such as Boity Thulo though.

I mean what's the point of importing a South African media personality like Boity Thulo instead of grooming and promoting local Zimbabwean media personalities.

Borrowdale Barron

grand master
That doesn't still erase the point I have made about the constant need of importing South African media brands such as Boity Thulo though.

I mean what's the point of importing a South African media personality like Boity Thulo instead of grooming and promoting local Zimbabwean media personalities.

The event was being sponsored by Genius Kadungure and basically he had the right to hire and import brands that he felt might turn things up a notch as far as his image is concerned.

Furthermore, Genius Kadungure is a private citizen that doesn't have the obligation to help the Zimbabwean music industry if he chooses to. Have you thought about that huh?

Lenard

Lenard Maseko
The event was being sponsored by Genius Kadungure and basically he had the right to hire and import brands that he felt might turn things up a notch as far as his image is concerned.

Furthermore, Genius Kadungure is a private citizen that doesn't have the obligation to help the Zimbabwean music industry if he chooses to. Have you thought about that huh?

I agree with that notion except that the Zimbabwean government is not effectively involved in promoting and rejuvenating the status quo of the Zim music business.

Therefore, when the public sector fails to provides certain goods and services due to economic upheavals one can expect that maybe the private sector including private citizens will perhaps take upon themselves with the task of addressing such concerns.

Borrowdale Barron

grand master
I agree with that notion except that the Zimbabwean government is not effectively involved in promoting and rejuvenating the status quo of the Zim music business.

Therefore, when the public sector fails to provides certain goods and services due to economic upheavals one can expect that maybe the private sector including private citizens will perhaps take upon themselves with the task of addressing such concerns.

The artists themselves can only save themselves because the music industry is not the Zimbabwean government's current priority at the moment.

Do you really think that people like General Chiwenga are optimistic about pouring funds into the Zim music industry? No! I really doubt the fact.