recommended
MuChivanhu ngozi is a spirit of vengeance which awakens in retribution i.e. the spirit of a dead person who was murdered in cold blood (munhu akapondwa). This avenging spirit will torment the perpetrator's family until a traditional custom of kuripa ngozi takes place, or alternatively, a controversial cultural practice of kurasira ngozi is done.

Queen

grand master
Chitsinga chii?

Chitsinga is a rheumatic condition normally used to bewitch a rival.

For example, in the context yeZimdancehall music yawatanga, zvinoreva kuti, if Zimdancehall artiste X doesn't like Zimdancehall artiste Y. What Zimdancehall artiste X will do, is getting in close physical contact with Zimdancehall artiste X and gently rub or apply mbashto on him or her.

Therefore, making artiste Y's overall performance is lackluster since they will go through serious pain usually in the form of rheumatism.

@Queen @Nolwazi Kwayedza isn't kutanda botso another type of an avenging spirit?

Well, that depends on who you ask, I suppose.

But many people I have spoken to suggested the following:

Avenging Spirit (ngozi)Cause
Type 1 ("conventional")when a person commits first-degree murder
Type 2 ("marital")when a person intentionally slaughters their spouse
Type 3 ("parental")when a person kills their biological mother or father

Note: Kutanda botso it's essentially a way for a daughter or son to seek forgiveness for hitting or verbally insulting their biological mother with expletives by going through a humiliation ritual in which they wear dirty, tattered clothing or rags for a period of time and publicly declare to everyone they come across what they did wrong whilst walking around their neighborhood. Therefore, kutanda botso does not occur solely because of a murder.

Latest resources