Bla Jedza

apprentice
Amongst all hip-hop artists both dead and alive, who do y'all think has got the best music business acumen in the context of signing unknown or upcoming rappers who then, later on, blow up to be global mainstream recording artists?

Attachments

• Which hip-hop artist has good music business acumen.png
    Which hip-hop artist has good music business acumen.png
    335.4 KB · Views: 43

Shamiso

initiate
Definitely, Brrrrrrrrrrrr Baby Birdman, although he is a terrible rapper--don't quote me on that, abeg oh. But honestly, I respect his business acumen, and no matter what, Young Money/Cash Money will go down in history as one of the best hip-hop collectives to reckon with.

Borrowdale Barron

grand master
Definitely, Brrrrrrrrrrrr Baby Birdman, although he is a terrible rapper--don't quote me on that, abeg oh. But honestly, I respect his business acumen, and no matter what, Young Money/Cash Money will go down in history as one of the best hip-hop collectives to reckon with.

Nah, Birdman is more like a CEO. I don't consider him to be much of a rapper. If you say Weezy Lil' Wayne then perhaps I can agree with you.

Borrowdale Barron

grand master
Birdman is a rap artist/mogul. You can't say he is just a CEO. What do you make of this then...

Meh, ?I still don't consider Birdman to be much of a Hip Hop artist.

But there's absolutely no doubt about how Birdman and his brother Ronald Jay "Slim" Williams alongside Universal Music Group have managed to have a stronghold on the sound of rap music for the past 10 years or so.

By the way, I am talking strictly from a music business perspective not just art, creativity, lyricism, etc. Cash Money/Young Money, UMG, and OVO Sound have held the game by the balls for far too long now.

You gotta put some respek on them labels above fo sho.

Scorpio

grand master
What about other A-list rappers Jay-Z, Drake, 50 Cent, T.I. and Kanye West?

Remember your thread is about which A-list rapper signed a D-list rapper (or unknown artist) who later became an A-list rap artist.

With that said, 50 Cent has got to go, so does T.I., so does Kanye West.

Jay-Z and Dame Dash signed Kanye West so he stays on that list. Perhaps, you ought to also consider Jay-Z signing J. Cole too.

All artists Drake has ever signed to his OVO Sound record label aren't anywhere near his level neither have they done anything significant to be close to him, I mean strictly speaking in terms of global influence -- so nope that's a non-starter.

Dr. Dre signed Eminem so add him too. I am not too sure about counting Diddy as a rapper although he signed Biggie Smalls.

Borrowdale Barron

grand master
Yeah, he is -- the man got some classic bangers.

Imma keep it 100. with you, T.I. is not on the same level as Jay-Z, 50 Cent, The Notorious B.I.G. Biggie Smalls, Nas, Tupac Shakur, Snoop Dogg, Drake, Kanye West, Ice Cube.

T.I. is in the same category as Nelly, Ludacris, Meek Mill, and of course Lil' Flip. Come on oans let's knock it off, fr.

Do you really think T.I. is a rap legend?

Here is a good example: Tunechi signed Nicki Minaj and Drake... Y'all need to stop this at once. Who did T.I. sign?

Black Panther

grand master
Imma keep it 100 ? with you... Cause T.I. is not on the same level as Jay-Z, 50 Cent, The Notorious B.I.G. Biggie Smalls, Nas, Tupac Shakur, Snoop Dogg, Drake, Kanye West, Ice Cube.

T.I. is in the same category with Nelly, Ludacris, Meek Mill, and of course Lil' Flip. Come on oans let's knock it off, fr.

Here is a good example: Tunechi signed Nicki Minaj and Drake... Y'all need to stop this at once. Who did T.I. sign?

T.I. signed Iggy Azalea.

My bad... enough of that, LOL.

But on a more serious note, are we talking about signing artists, or are we talking about rapping?

Scorpio

grand master
T.I. signed Iggy Azalea.

My bad... enough of that, LOL.

But on a more serious note, are we talking about signing artists, or are we talking about rapping?

Didn't you read the first message? We talmbout which A-list rap music artist is good with offering record contracts and all that music publishing paperwork.

Black Panther

grand master
Didn't you read the first message? We talmbout which A-list rap music artist is good with offering record contracts and all that music publishing paperwork.

I just read the title, and oh I get it now.

I gotta say Birdman. Because without Birdman there probably wouldn't be Young Money Entertainment as we know it now, therefore, no Lil' Wayne. Without Tunechi that arguably means no Drake and Nicki Minaj.

In addition, there is no female rapper in this context who touches Nicki Minaj either, absolutely none. BTW, I am talmbout' a successful female rapper who got signed by another rapper then blew up. As for Drake, there's not much to say. That's pretty much obvious.

So Cash Money/Young Money signing Nicki Minaj and Drake was a good long-term strategic move.

Honorable mention is Jay-Z of course.