Are there major record labels in the Republic of Zimbabwe?

Numero Uno

grand master
How would y'all oans rate labels like
  • Chillspot Recordz
  • Tazoita Cash Records
  • Bad Company Records
  • Military Touch Movement
  • Gunhill Studios
  • Hot Property
  • etc.

Scorpio

grand master
How would y'all oans rate labels like

• Chillspot Recordz
  • Tazoita Cash Records
  • Bad Company Records
  • Military Touch Movement
  • Gunhill Studios
  • Hot Property
  • etc.

Be serious, my guy. I don't know why you have listed down those Zimdancehall record labels, albeit Zimdancehall music is currently the most popular genre of music in the country right now; there is no Zim record label that has the capacity to constitute the meaning of what a major record label is.

Just as @Bla Jedza and @Borrowdale Barron already said. Maybe in the year 2077 or 3000 somewhere there, things might change. I don't know what the future holds, LMAO.

Black Panther

grand master
Major record labels operate on a global scale not just on a national or regional level. This is why it's next to impossible to name a single successful Zimbabwean record label that has demonstrated any financial means to do so for decades upon decades on a regional level.

What more on a global playing field? Nah. Of course, this doesn't conclude to say Zim musicians aren't dedicated to their craft. It's only a matter of looking at reality and stating facts as they are.

T

Tichaona

Do some of y'all envision Chillspot Records expanding beyond what it is now?

D

Dambudzo

Those oans ain't business minded. Vanoziva havo kugadzira Zimdancehall music. But zve music business kwete. Hazvisi zvavo. If that was the case by now they would have established subsidiaries across the country e.g., in places like Mutare, Bulawayo, Gweru, Kariba and etc.

F

Fadzaimoyo

Art or ANYTHING for that matter in the Republic of Zimbabwe must be affiliated with and be approved by ZANU-PF's central committee in order to progress far and beyond. I suppose it's safe to conclude that the government of Zimbabwe is a euphemism for ZANU-PF Central Committee.

E

Evelyn Shamuyarira

Art or ANYTHING for that matter in the Republic of Zimbabwe must be affiliated with and be approved by ZANU-PF's central committee in order to progress far and beyond. I suppose it's safe to conclude that the government of Zimbabwe is a euphemism for ZANU-PF Central Committee.

Ko bato reZANU-PF rinei nechekuita neindasitiri yemumhanzi wemuZimbabwe? Chekupedzisira, sei imi vanhu muchigara muchida kuisa bato ZANU-PF munyaya dzisina basa?

M

Mushambarichakwata

They have been producing Zimdancehall riddims for over a decade now and still haven't moved out of Mbare. It is likely that you will be able to figure out the rest, just as Dambudzo said when he responded to you.

J

Jeremiah

@Tichaona since we are talking about Chillspot Records I will chime in to say growth was never the primary objective; rather, mass production of a commodity was. When a product is founded more on the reputation of the person who made it than on the quality of that product, it is bound to be a failure. Chillspot Records has always focused on its proprietors rather than the bands with whom it interacts.

L

Lloyd

Idama iroro—mashoko makukutu—I get what you are saying. But even kana ukataura zvinhu zvinomeka sense unotukwa muZimbabwe. Vanhu chokwadi havachide zveshuwa. Vanoita kunge vakaputirwa nemamhepo i.e., the spirit of poverty.