P

Phoenix

When using the Avid Pro Tools signal generator sound effect to create a sine wave, such as 20 Hz or 100 Hz, why does the resulting waveform not have zero crossings at integer seconds? Or in other words, how precise is the frequency of the PT signal generator?

recommended
V
I do not believe the generator's frequency is synchronized to the grid until you record it and then align it.
P

Phoenix

I do not believe the generator's frequency is synchronized to the grid until you record it and then align it.

You are correct when, for instance, the plugin operates on an auxiliary track and sends to a bus, and you record that bus. I have tested this myself. However, I was only referring to situations where you generate the tone by either rendering it with the AudioSuite version of the plugin or by bouncing the plugin on a track.

D

Deez Treez

The PT signal generator only supports integer frequencies. It seems that when the signal generator plugin was developed years ago, the calculations were designed to have limited accuracy. It is possible that rounding errors have occurred over time, which could be the cause of the issue.