What is an imprint record label and a vanity record company?

Shamiso

initiate
So what exactly is an imprint record label and whilst on that can y'all oans also define what is a vanity record company?

recommended
An imprint label can not sign artists on its own without the leverage of a real record label since an imprint is usually not a legally registered company. In simple English, a trademark or a brand name is not a music company!

Black Panther

grand master
An imprint record label in the music industry only exists in the form of a name-value which is not a legally recognized business organization.

It's more like a contractual joint-venture to split profits when an already signed artist discovers and brings new talent to a major record label's roster.

But a vanity record label is a business entity i.e. a legally registered firm formed prior to an artist being signed to a major record label or after.

Generally speaking, a major record label will own the vanity label's X percentage of shares while the main artist owns Y percentage of shares.

Sometimes a major record label will get to own everything through full-acquisition when they sign an artist who already had his or her own label during the time they were still on the come up.

In summary, a vanity record company will always be underneath a major label as a legal subsidiary business entity.

Bla Jedza

apprentice
An imprint label can not sign artists on its own without the leverage of a real record label since an imprint is usually not a legally registered company. In simple English, a trademark or a brand name is not a music company!

recommended

Numero Uno

grand master
What's really the point of starting a vanity label if an artist is still signed to a major record label? I just don't get the point in all of this?

Scorpio

grand master
What's really the point of starting a vanity label if an artist is still signed to a major record label? I just don't get the point in all of this?

Okay, I will just list down a few important vanity label objectives below:
  • to give an A-list recording artist more creative control so that they won't think too much about leaving a major record label to start their own record company.
  • some (but not all) A-list recording artists have good business acumen hence a vanity label can bring more profits to a major record label when they sign new artists.

Numero Uno

grand master
Okay, I will just list down a few important vanity label objectives below:
  • to give an A-list recording artist more creative control so that they won't think too much about leaving a major record label to start their own organization.
  • some (but not all) A-list recording artists have good business acumen hence a vanity label can bring more profits to a major record label when they sign new artists.

In other words, are y'all saying vanity labels are just a way of funneling money to the top using the clout of an A-list musician?

Scorpio

grand master
In other words, are y'all saying vanity labels are just a way of funneling money to the top using the clout of an A-list musician?

Prett much yes, although in the music business, they don't describe it this way.

They spin around in circles when talking about the true nature of the business itself.

If you want honesty I tell you what—both imprints and vanity labels are nothing but pyramid schemes. ?

Black Panther

grand master

What you pointed out is partially correct except other artists on an imprint or vanity label can sometimes surpass the clout of an A-list recording artist who established it.

For example, Drake vs Lil Wayne (Young Money Entertainment/Cash Money Records).

Borrowdale Barron

grand master
What you pointed out is partially correct except other artists on an imprint or vanity label can sometimes surpass the clout of an A-list recording artist who established it.

For example, Drake vs Lil Wayne (Young Money Entertainment/Cash Money Records).

Isn't Young Money Entertainment just an imprint?

Queen

grand master
What you pointed out is partially correct except artists on an imprint label or vanity label's roster can sometimes surpass the clout of an A-list recording artist who established it.

For example, Drake vs Lil Wayne (that is, in the case of Young Money Entertainment/Cash Money Records).

Hell, no. That's debatable!

You really can't say Drake has entirely eclipsed Lil Wayne because Weezy had a good run in Hip Hop music and was featured on almost everything during his heydays.

It's only that Drizzy is still having his run just like any other A-list Hip Hop artist had their share of glory days.

Bla Jedza

apprentice

When artists get too big they start making all kinds of crazy demands. They want to feel like real bosses and not just studio gangsters or young pretenders!

For this reason, a major record company may decide to give them their own vanity label or stroke their ego with an imprint.

In some scenarios artists, themselves may feel that their record label is not putting enough money into their projects so they may negotiate to have a vanity label where the artists make certain financial contributions while the parent company does the same to cover expenses.

Of course, on the grounds that the parent company will not interfere too much when it comes to the creative direction the artists have.

I

Imprint under a Major

So what exactly is an imprint record label and whilst on that can y'all oans also define what is a vanity record company?

Not sure who gave this WRONG information, an imprint can be a company LLC.

It can sign artists. It's an indie label under the umbrella of a major label.

It has its own tax ID#. We have our own Indie Label that is an imprint under a major.