Patchbay balanced (TRS) or unbalanced (TS)

J

Jay Guinness

Is it better to use balanced (TRS) or unbalanced (TS) cables when using a pro audio patchbay?

recommended
C
Balanced cables are made to eliminate interference caused on the way from one source to another, especially when the distance is long. With a patchbay, the cables are very short. The chance of interference is less than a cable of 10 to 20 meters. So, I think you can use unbalanced cables and save money for more important things.
T

twin1997

Most patchbays and mix consoles are designed to take balanced inputs (i.e., tip, ring, and sleeve). However, unbalanced lines (i.e., tip and sleeve) can also be used, but they may not function as intended. It's worth noting that balanced lines can be run for longer distances without concern for noise or interference.

T

Tornado

It comes down to the output of the instrument going into the patchbay, assuming that the patchbay is balanced and therefore can take both balanced and unbalanced cables. A guitar would use an unbalanced cable, modern polyphonic synthesizers mostly use balanced, etc.

C

Champagne Coffee

Balanced cables are made to eliminate interference caused on the way from one source to another, especially when the distance is long. With a patchbay, the cables are very short. The chance of interference is less than a cable of 10 to 20 meters. So, I think you can use unbalanced cables and save money for more important things.

recommended